Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Carers Hints and tips to Success

Hi @Hillsy ..... 👋 .... good to see you ..... 

@Susana .... hi .... hearing you Hon.

Have a look at this and see if it helps - 

https://www.firstlighthomecare.com/blog/2013/11/13/caregiver-burnout/

It’s really important as carers that we balance our own welfare along with those we are caring for.  This article explains a bit about “carer’s burnout”, which we are all prone to.

💐💕

Thank you @Faith-and-Hope,

Good article! Just need to have some clear boundaries right now in my caregiver role.

Being a dual carer almost means I don't get to take a mental break. When I'm not caring for my mum with MI, it's researching ways of supporting my son with autism.

Trying to stay as healthy as I can physically with exercise (before husband goes to work and everyone else is still asleep) and sleep. Mentally it's not easy for me to rest.... Even when I am not physically sing the caring when help is around....

good morning @Susana, @Faith-and-Hope, @Hillsy, @outlander

Good article @Faith-and-Hope, I find getting the right balance is my problem

Hello @cruz , @Kcjm, @Awareb4, there are some great tips and hints here and if you have some to add , please add them

@Susana, @Faith-and-Hope, @Hillsy, @Former-Member

Major distractions are needed then @Susana ......

I hear you. I have a disabled daughter for whom I am the carer, plus a husband with an mi that he is not aware he has - as yet undiagnosed for this reason - and now our two younger kidults are suffering various forms of anxiety and depression ...... one has been under a mental health team for a year ..... the other one has been bobbing along the surface and managing well enough to only have school counsellor and medical support, but she has recently started with a psych. The bottom line for me is that this is all support I didn’t have before.

Music and art are my two great escapes ..... and television movies ...... I also go for long walks in the outdoors where ai am feeling the breeze ..... often beside water as I find it calming ...... and distracted by things I see, and people watching.

We have recently relocated so my youngest two can relaunch their studies ...... although one deferred till next semester after a month. At our previous home, in our previous state, I used to look for dolphins in the river.

It takes practice and thinking about to plan your own escapes and distractions, but I can’t emphasise how important it is ......

“Who is caring for the carer ?”

Thanks for the tips Faith-and-Hope!

You have a full plate!

Yes, it's true.... Who cares for the carer?

I have some ideas for distractions.... Maybe I will look upset some past favourite TV shows. 😁

Hearing you too @Susana 💜

Hi @Susana @Hillsy

Great ideas @outlander 

I've not heard the term "expressed emotions" in that way and am doing researching.  Though I have a sense of it as an abreaction/venting rather than constructive and mature emotional relating.

Smiley Happy

Thanks @outlander!

@Susana
Where to start when one is overwhelmed? I started with somewhere where I could. Picking up one thing a day to start to try and get pur clutter under control, working up to 3 things, having coffee or lunch out when travelling to main centre for appts, adding in an occasional hair cut which eventually became more regular.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance