Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life with Schizophrenia// Tues 31st May, 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Thanks but No thanks @Former-Member , but thanks for the tag. Drove 7 ish hours today as part of my Moving Adventure.. just resting now

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life with Schizophrenia// Tues 31st May, 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

I definitely understand @Patchworks with the hallucinations and delusions. They can be very overwhelming at times. I hope you find the information useful and informative. 

No worries @TAB . The discussion will be here to read back later on if you'd like. 😊 Take good care ❤️

Yes, I can identify with all these symptoms in my friend. It is very good reminder. Admittedly, I become frustrated at the 'lack of motivation' and similar negative symptoms. 

It is good reminder to know these are part of illness & to be more mindful.

The theme of Schizophrenia Awareness Week this year is “connecting with hope.” @RiverSeal , what are some ways that people living with schizophrenia can connect with hope? 

& for the community: What are some ways that you have found hope? 

Yes, @maddison schizophrenia has many moving parts so good to recognize the symptoms and how they can affect people. Having an understanding can improve coping and identify when people need support. 

The theme of Schizophrenia Awareness Week this year is “connecting with hope.” @RiverSeal , what are some ways that people living with schizophrenia can connect with hope? 

Hope: a feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen or Wikipedia 

I think that connection with hope is done in two ways, externally and internally. It does not necessarily happen easily or straight away, and you might feel a lack of hope for some time. It might seem like a nice word or a privilege that you do not have access too. Your support team might hold the candle of hope for you until you have insight and a desire to make change happen.  

Externally is about connecting with people whether they be friends and family or new people. This might also become online such as SANE Forums, Facebook groups or Meetup groups. Support groups are also a great way to connect with people with similar experiences. But you can’t expect that you will click with other people just because you share a diagnosis. Community connection is also very important, and this might look like volunteering, working in a community garden, neighbourhood house, or participating in organised group activities- such as a mental health organisation that takes people on trips for the day or overnight stays. 

Internally it’s about acceptance and recognising what needs to be different for you to cope better. Your symptoms might seem like that you can’t change them, or medication isn’t working for you. What can you do that is in your control and you can influence to cope better or make changes that improve your life? People live meaningful and fulfilling lives whilst still experiencing the symptoms of schizophrenia. Find your good, acknowledge your positive achievements, allow yourself to dream and work on your recovery. 

No one can give you hope, you create it for yourself! 

I was lucky to recover from my first psychotic episode and knowing that I can get well again gives me hope when it happens again. 

That's great to hear @Patchworks 😊 Sounds a bit like 'I've done this before, I can do it again'

A diagnosis of schizophrenia can carry a lot of stigma in society.  

For @RiverSeal and the community: 

What are some safe spaces you’ve found to talk about living with schizophrenia? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance