Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life with Schizophrenia// Tues 31st May, 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Great to have you join in tonight for the event tonight @Patchworks 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life with Schizophrenia// Tues 31st May, 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

I want to see this. Please let me know how I log in

Having trouble

To kick things off with our first question for @RiverSeal

So that we can all have the same understanding for this discussion, 

What is schizophrenia?  

& for the community: What are your experiences with schizophrenia? 

Thanks for joining in @maddison 

I have an interest in this topic, as I am a carer/ support person for someone with diagnosis of schizophrenia. I am mid 40s and I think mostly identify as her she / sometimes I don't feel that gender is identity?!

Schizophrenia: 

Schizophrenia is a syndrome which may include a range of symptoms in individuals including positive, negative, and cognitive. 

Positive: psychotic symptoms are added to someone, that don’t usually exist 

• Hallucinations 
  • Delusions 
  • Disorganised behaviour 
  • Disorganised speech  
  • Catatonic behaviour 

Negative mental symptoms are taken from someone 

• a seeming lack of interest in the world 
  • not wanting to interact with other people (social withdrawal) 
  • an inability to feel or express pleasure (anhedonia) 
  • an inability to act spontaneously 
  • decreased sense of purpose 
  • lack of motivation (avolition) 
  • not talking much 
  • difficulty speaking due to disorganized thinking (alogia) 

Negative physical symptoms are taken from someone  

• an inexpressive or blank face (flat affect) 
  • monotone or monosyllabic speech 
  • lack of gesturing when communicating 
  • lack of eye contact 
  • physical inactivity 

Cognitive: are changes in the way your mind functions 

• disorganized thinking 
  • slow thinking 
  • difficulty understanding 
  • poor concentration 
  • poor memory 
  • difficulty expressing thoughts 
  • difficulty integrating thoughts, feelings and behaviour 

Schizoaffective Disorder: 

Schizoaffective disorder is having a combination of schizophrenia (cognitive disorder) and bipolar or depression (mood disorders) 

Schizophrenia - causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment & pathology 

Healthline - Schizophrenia 

What is Schizoaffective Disorder? 

Can anyone help me?

I think you are in @Millielulu , can you see these messages?

Hi @Millielulu, it looks like you are logged in 😊 You are in the right place - for the event, just continue to 'refresh' the page and you will see new the responses that come through 🙂 

@Millielulu it looks like you are already logged in. this thread is the special event so welcome!

@TideisTurning and @RiverSeal I have had some of the positive, negative and cognitive symptoms. I find the hallucinations and delusion can be very distressing. The negative symptoms make life hard to tolerate sometimes.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance