Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life with Schizophrenia// Tues 31st May, 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

So true. Acceptance by self and others is so important. If we persist, people in the general population will come to understand people who suffer with schizophrenia and be patient and better educated about mental illness in general. Education is key. 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life with Schizophrenia// Tues 31st May, 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

I also agree with what you have said @Elisena . The media do portray schizophrenia as someone who is dangerous and has references to criminal behaviour. I remember the Bourke St incident in Melbourne a few years ago about the male person who had schizophrenia and that made me shy away from telling people about my condition for fear and stigma of being associated with that person. Even now, I’m a little shy at telling people I have schizophrenia for fear of that incident being mentioned and people thinking I’m like that person which I’m clearly not. It’s sad in that regard that people think people with schizophrenia are dangerous when in fact I believe some are just misunderstood and are trying to make sense of their own world and reality.

Judi9877

I can totally understand that @Judi9877. Stigma is hard enough on it's own, let alone fuelled by misunderstandings or inaccurate representation/ portrayal.

Just wanted to thank @Former-Member  for the alert. I haven't posted, but I've appreciated reading along. Good conversation peoples 🙂

@Elisena it's truly awful isn't it- and for that stigma to also have effects of isolating and alienating people from support when people could otherwise really do with it- it really must change.

I'm grateful for everyone who stands up and addresses this kind of stigma, like Simon Champ.

Starting to wrap up our discussion now; @RiverSeal, where can people continue to learn and connect? 

Thank you very much for mentioning these people. I have read books by both Saks and Longden. I found them very interesting. 

@Judi9877 Thank you for coming to the party! 

The lockdowns were a challenging time for people living with mental health issues and I also experienced it that way too. Hospitalisations can have a big impact on people so please continue to reach out for support here on the Forums. The communities perceptions of schizophrenia are unhelpful to people experiencing symptoms and focusing on your treating team and safe spaces to talk like here at SANE help build resilience. 

Please read back if you would like to read more of the discussion. 

Living Well with Schizophrenia is a great online resource. It provides very comprehensive and easy-to-understand information and is accessible on various platforms. Lauren the author of the YouTube channel, website, and social media has schizoaffective disorder and is a social worker. She experiences symptoms still but is an inspiration to recovery and living a meaningful and fulfilling life.  

Cecilia McGough experiences schizophrenia and is the founder of Students with Psychosis. She is very much an advocate for recovery and living and meaningful and fulfilling life. Her Instagram page is inspirational and it’s great to see that she is making a difference for the people she supports and students particularly.  

Peer groups are an amazing way to find people who have similar experiences and learn from each other about how to cope and to recover. They can really influence how you perceive your own experiences and open you up to possibilities that you may not have considered. Groups are available face to face and online and we will include some links, but you may need to research your local area. Contact mental health outreach services, check online and speak to your treatment team. 

Mental Health Foundation Australia  

Yes I remember that @Judi9877  (bourke St)& felt sad at the time as I knew this would feed public perception, & something the media would focus on. Totally unnecessary & hurtful to people living with mental health condition💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance