Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

@Determined @Faith-and-Hope 
Hope the assorted assessments come out well for both of you. xx

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Thanks @Smc 🙏 

Thanks @Determined 🙏 

Exams r done 

Now the wait till grades r released 😬

Glad assessment is over. 

Hi @HenryX 

Thank you for sharing some of your story.

Hope you don't mind me answering over here on my other self care thread. Juat felt it fits here better than the biking thread. 

Sounds like you have a lot going on but at least there is some progress so that is good to hear. Self care.is essential and even small steps is progress. 

Some key people (mostly Mum and GP) keep reminding me it took a long time of not looking after myself to get this messed up so cant expect to recover over night 😬 I guess that is common to most people. 

My recent  unwellness was the result  of insufficient self care. I got myself run down (again)  between exercise and study stress and ended up with viral pneumonia.  I'm mostly past it now just the lingering chronic fatigue. Balance challenges is usually only an issue when I am really run down. Not sure why that is but seems to be ok now.

I am also back into cycling so that is good for physical and mental health. Juat need to pace myself. My Darling (aka wife if you have not see much of my story) is a bit over eager to be hitting up endurance rides. Need to build up to that lol. 

Hope things continue to go well for you. 

D

Hello Determined

Thank you for your response on your “Supporting....” thread. Just had a quick read back a couple of months to get a mental picture.

I understand that different threads carry messages of varying topic and strength.

Very pleased to know that the pneumonia side of health has been dealt with and general health is improving. I understand that attending to health maintenance can sometimes take second place to, what may seem at the time, to be otherwise more important. Then we kick ourselves for not making that bit of extra time each day allocated to exercise. We just think the body can run without regular maintenance. I would imagine that pneumonia may have messed with inner ear function to affect balance. Hope the fatigue diminishes quickly for you.

I noticed that you started the thread 3½ years ago, in part on self-care, so you must be conscious that you sometimes forget about, or have a habit of overlooking it. That's a comment with 3 fingers pointing back at me.

Unfortunately, I am realising that the years have taken their toll and while I can expect improvement, I cannot claw back to where I was 40, 30 or even 20 years ago. However, I'll push it as far as I can.

I purchased a bicycle sometime back and now have to lubricate everything, because it was so long ago. But maybe you've given me the incentive. It will be good practice for getting back on the motor-bike. Endurance rides are dream-time for me, I think.

Also pleased to know that you feel that study results are satisfactory, particularly given health issues.

For now Cheers and Best Wishes

to

You and Your Family

HenryX

Edited to add Dad... I knew who I was talking about lol.  

Have been looking forward to some time away with darling but the

Closer we get to departure the more ailments *Dad seems to be getting.

Some sub conscious sabotage happening I think 😢

Dad talking about calling an ambulance earlier. Don't know what to do. If we just go and leave him and something happens 😬 😫 🥺

How's things traveling @Determined?

Have my Mum staying over @Smc 

Win win. She needed somewhere to stay for a couple of days due to home dynamics (tag team caring role. Her turn to hide) and where she usually goes to hide is affected by lockdowns.

Well that is lifted as of today but doesn't want to risk getting stuck there if things change. So even better it does not look like someone here just to look after Dad she is genuinely  here for her benefit but would have come regardless to give us our break away 😍

🙂
Hope this means it will all work out for everyone's benefit. Certainly sounds like a Godsend situation.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance