Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Schizophrenia and Isolation

Perhaps assure him that connecting with others could actually help him figure out what is real/not real. Tell him it is worth a try to step out, because stepping out can sometimes be a step closer to seeing what is reality.

Omg, your son must be quite a handful for you and your husband to care for...

Sorry I say that because my 45 year old partner suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and my 12 year old son has Autism and so I'm just picturing them blended into one person and I couldn't imagine it!

Although I have no advice for your situation, I hope you don't mind me saying that your son must be an incredibly brave and strong person to deal with both of those mental disorders day in and day out and I wish you all the best for whatever life throws at you's

You certainly have my admiration and my respect 

Cheers xx

@Jillie. Admire your courage for speaking up.
@ IStillLoveHim. Like Jillie I'm reaching out for advice. AS with yourself, I too have a schizophrenic (undiagnosed) partner and have been together for nearly six years. Through this time I have learnt her triggers and still doing all I can to support her - at times the sense of helplessness and pushing through her "reality" as a real test. Be great to hear more of your story and perhaps share some ideas? All the best out there and you too have my admiration and respect. Cheers.

Hi There @boofhead73

Welcome to the Forums! I'm TideisTurning  I just wanted to note for yourself & anyone contributing to the discussion that we ask other members to refrain from giving specific advice in line with our respect guideline, however everyone is welcome to share their experiences generally in line with our Community Guidelines

I'm going to tag a few members who may have other insights and knowledge to share 😊 @Hello_ @Patchworks @Krishna @Anon1975 @Former-Member @Gwynn We also happen to have a live event discussion coming up on the topic of Schizophrenia next Tuesday, 31st May 2022. More on that here

Thank you TideisTurning! Will be sure to maintain guidelines and many thanks for the link event next Tuesday. Take care and with regards.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Jillie @looks like there issupport on these forums left and right for your son, I too was isolated due to schizophrenia for about 5 years working by my diagnosis. It’s something no one wants but in time one you come to accept. When you have the chance try and persuade him to talk to a psychiatrist and take his medication… there are options to maintain life without medication but talking to a psychiatrist is needed. I finally caved to my parents pressure to get help took some time but my parents stuck by me and still do so… which was essential but to each their own I guess I have disorganized schizophrenia and had depression due to life circumstances and genetics. Right now I’m in a new workplace but it’s still early days to call my self settled. I hope I gave you some insight to this illness which i repeat no one wants, but that’s life it’s unfair, but not that bad.and when all is settled there’s an app called meet up where you can meet people and do activities as the name suggests

Hi,

I live with a schizophrenia spectrum illness called schizoaffective disorder. I get delusions,  hallucinations and also depression. 

Isolation is common for our illness can cause us to withdraw socially,  it's one of the negative symptoms. I have found a lady with my illness on youtube who has helped me.  Her name is Lauren and her video about helping someone who doesn't want help is hopefully linked below:

https://youtu.be/3K14v6dJQlM 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance