Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

SLP1997
Casual Contributor

Just need some help in understanding.

Hi there,

I hope everyone is coping okay, whether you're struggle yourself or care for someone who is struggling. 

Recently my girlfriend has been diagnosed with Bipolar type 2 while inpatient in a psychiatric unit. I'm not super familiar with the symptoms and what exactly that means for her. Im coming from a standpoint of wanting to understand the illness a bit more and things that I can do to cope with any episodes in the future. I do struggle myself with mental health so if I can understand it a bit more, it might help me cope with my own feelings as well. 

Thanks in advance anyone who reaches out, have a lovely night. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Just need some help in understanding.

Hi @SLP1997

Good on you reaching out to try to find out more! You may like to check out this factsheet, this information from Black Dog Institute or this other thread. I'll also tag a few members in case they have more wisdom to offer @eth @Dadcaringalone 😊

Hi @SLP1997 

I just wanted to reach out to you and offer some support Smiley Happy

I wondered if the websites www.sane.org.au and beyondblue.org.au may be helpful for you, as both have a wealth of information about various mental health issues Smiley Happy

I also wondered if perhaps you could initiate a conversation with your girlfriend about her experiences - if and when she felt comfortable and emotionally ready to participate in this.

In my experience, receiving a diagnosis can often leave people sitting with a smorgasboard of thoughts and feelings such as shock, relief, fear, confusion and a sense of grief and loss and isolation.

As such, I truly believe that sometimes, one of the greatest gifts that you can provide to someone is sitting with them in the rubble, giving them permission to feel and express what they need to and supporting them in a way that feels meaningful for them Smiley Happy

Therefore, creating a safe space where your girlfriend can share her experiences, may support and encourage her to be able to invite you into her world, so that you can develop more of an understanding about what is happening for her Smiley Happy

I also think that it's really important to be patient, kind and gentle with yourselves during this time, as 'getting to know' and understand the mental health issues that we live with can take time and it's often a complicated and ongoing process!

Having said that, I just wondered if you may find it helpful to develop a roadmap Smiley Happy

A roadmap can take many different forms, but one example is to write a few headings on a piece of paper / word document / mobile telephone that capture a few of the issues that are important to you and that you would like to understand. For example, you could write down 'how will I know if I'm becoming unwell' and 'who can I contact for support.'

Once you have done this, you can start to write your thoughts under each heading. Writing things down not only provides you both with a reference point so that you're on the same page, but it may also help to guide your conversations and highlight those issues that perhaps you need some additional support with. Also, keeping a written record, enables you to make amendments so that your roadmap reflects your changing needs Smiley Happy

Sometimes, living with a mental health issue can leave people feeling as if they have very little if any control over their lives. As such, your roadmap could also include a section about how your girlfriend may like you to respond in an emergency / crisis situation, as this may afford her a sense of power and control over the process and ensure that some of her wishes are recognised, respected and supported.

For example, if your girlfriend was experiencing a mental health crisis, would it be best for her to present in person to the Emergency Department of your local hospital, contact an ambulance, a family member, or another health professional involved in her care?

Also, if your girlfriend felt comfortable, perhaps you could attend some of her medical appointments with her. This may provide an opportunity for you to strengthen your understanding about what is happening for her and ask questions so that you feel more confident to support her.

I think that it's great that you are doing you're very best to support your girlfriend and I just wanted to gently encourage you to take care of yourself too Smiley Happy

If you would like to access some support for yourself, the Sane Help Centre supports people living with complex mental health issues and the people who care about them. The Help Centre is staffed by qualified counsellors and they can provide telephone and online counselling, information and referrals. 

The Help Centre operates Monday to Friday from 10am until 10pm (AEST) and you can contact them on: 1800 18 72 63.

Their website is: www.sane.org

I hope that this helps Smiley Happy

Take care,

ShiningStar Heart

Thank you for your kind words. 

I will definitely look into the things that you've put forward.

It can be equally as hard on not only the people who are experiencing the illness but those around them that care and support them. 

Tonight has been a particularly hard one. 

Hi @SLP1997 

It's great to hear from you Smiley Happy

I'm so sorry to hear that last night was a difficult time for you.

People who care for a loved one who is living with a mental health issue absolutely need support too Heart

I just wondered if there are people in your life (professional or otherwise) that can provide this for you?

Also, you're always welcome to share your experiences here with us Smiley Happy Nothing is too big or too small - you can just share what feels safe and comfortable for you Heart

If you would like to reply to a post or connect with a particular person on the forums, place @ in front of their name Smiley Happy That way they will receive a notification that you have contacted them Smiley Happy

I hope that today has been a little easier for you ...

Take care,

ShiningStar Heart

@SLP1997 

my partner is bipolar

I find this website really helpful

https://www.bphope.com/

and Julie Fast has written a book as well which is great.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance