Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Ladywytch1
New Contributor

Fighting Stigma

How can you fight the stigma of mental illness in the community when doctors and nurses in ER use phrases like 'frequent flier', refuse treatment above bare basics and make patients agree to trauma management plans outlining minimal help when the patient agreeing has been dosed on morphine and ketamine for the past 12 hours. 
Breath!

Sorry, but I'm so angry and confused right now. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Fighting Stigma

Hi @Ladywytch1 

I just wanted to reach out and welcome you to the forums - it’s great to have you here Smiley Happy

I’m so very sorry to hear about your recent experience in the Emergency Department - of course you feel angry and confused!

Addressing the stigma associated with mental health issues can be incredibly challenging and I can really hear what seems to be a sense of despair in relation to this - especially when you shared: ‘how can you fight the stigma of mental illness in the community when doctors and nurse in the ER uses phrases like ‘frequent flier.’ 

Although addressing stigma is challenging, one of the things that I passionately believe is that irrespective of the mental health issues that we live with and / or how many times we require medical care, we all deserve to receive care and support that is respectful, compassionate and free of judgement - and I’m just so sorry and disappointed that this wasn’t your (and your loved one’s) experience Smiley Sad

With everything that’s happening for you right now, I just wondered if you have any support for yourself?

If you feel that some additional support would be helpful for you, you’re more than welcome to contact the SANE helpline Smiley Happy Basically, the helpline is staffed by qualified mental health professionals who provide support to people who are living with complex mental health issues. They also provide support for people (i.e. family members and friends) who are concerned about and / or caring for someone who lives with a complex mental health issue Heart

I’ve contacted the helpline on several occasions and I’ve always had a really positive experience where I felt supported and understood Smiley Happy

If you would like to contact them, their telephone number is:

1800 18 7263.

They operate Monday to Friday from 10.00am until 10.00pm AEST.

In addition to providing support via the telephone, they also provide support via web chat and email Smiley Happy

Sometimes it can be difficult to get through on the telephone, but if this is something that you’re interested in you’re more than welcome to schedule an appointment via their website - that way you can guarantee that you’ll be able to talk with someone on a day that best works for you Smiley Happy I’ve just posted the link below, in case this is something that you would like to explore further:

https://www.sane.org/counselling-support

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @Ladywytch1 that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them Smiley Happy

Please remember that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need Heart Nothing is too big or too small and you’re welcome to share whatever feels safe and comfortable for you (as long as what we share adheres to the community guidelines Smiley Happy)

I hope that this helps you a little bit Smiley Happy

Take care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance