Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Lokison
Contributor

Dunno

Hi I am new here. I have a 15yo daughter diagnosed with anxiety, depression, OCD and now suspected bipolar. We are currently on a wait list for two clinics for treatment one for the depression and anxiety the other specifically for the OCD. 
we have been waiting months and feel like the only way to get help is the go to a ward, which would be worse for her due to the OCD. Lately she has been using the S word as a weapon against us. She is harming and trying her best to hide it but her sisters see it and let me know on the low down. 

I am lost as to where to turn and what further I can do as a parent. I have read everything I can find, I have spoken to as many doctors as I can... but I am told we just have to wait.... Is it just me or is the system broken?

I have had my own struggles since leaving the military, and now feel like I have failed as a parent.

Anyways Hi, I'll chat at you all later I guess.

9 REPLIES 9
Luci
New Contributor

Re: Dunno

Nope.... the system is broken

Hi @Lokison ,

Thank you for sharing. 

It's a hard place. Resources are stretched so that only a few get seen to properly. This doesn't mean you have failed as a parent.

Does your daughter go to school? In-school well-being should be able to provide some support in the interim. Otherwise, does she see a psychologist (through a mental health care plan)?

I feel the pain in knowing your hands are tied.

I hope there is some relief soon.

BPDSurvivor

She has been unable to to attend thus far this year. Her anxiety levels when in a classroom are crippling. We are waiting on the outcome of an application to distance education. Still waiting...
She has been to headspace, which we have now been referred on to other services, unfortunately she has used up her allotted sessions at headspace. Again waiting waiting waiting. Hurry up and wait!

@Lokison 

It sounds like you on a troubling situation. What does your daughter want to do and does she have a positive way to solve these issues?  

These are just suggestions and I am throwing them out in hopes that one of them work for you.

Have you tried having calming music playing in your house in the background on a low level?  or maybe have a water feature where water is constantly running? 

What is she like around animals? I know some places do animal therapy such as horse stables allowing people to spend time with horses and dogs as a way to calm their anxiety. What is your current environment like? What kind of noise do you get all day, is it traffic noise or do you get to hear birds and frogs? Does she like cooking and engaging with different smells?

These could be all suggestions that you have tried and I am sorry if this all seems like ideas that you have tried.  Unfortunately, doctors and the mental health system are out of your control and I guess I am trying to help you to find things in your control that you can change that might make small differences to bring calm. 

Please let me know if any of this helps.

@Lokison 

we have a Topic Tuesday // OCD: Behind The Mask // Tues 13th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST next tuesday , if you like to be involved, just click on the link 

@Former-Member, @NatureLover 

Hello @AussieRecharger@BPDSurvivor@Luci 

Thanks.

Question, am I allowed to post about a mental health support program. I help out a mental health charity with promotion of their programs on Sydneys northern beaches. They are running a men's program soon. It is a free program which comes with free surf lessons.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @Lokison, thanks for checking in Smiley Happy

One of our Community Guidelines (Respect) asks for forum members to not publish anything that "could be seen to be serving yours or somebody else's commercial interests," so advertising a program is included in that. 

I commend you, though, for being involved in men's mental health support programs Smiley Happy Take care and I hope you have a good day 💐

That is a shame. The programs they run are completely free and funded from movember. My daughter has benefited immensely from it.

Update!!!

Today we finally received a letter of offer to distance education, pending principals approval.

It is a step in the right direction, FINALLY!!

We have an appointment with OCD clinic for assessment!! Finally!

We may have a date for her first clinician appointment, maybe!!

It has been a long and difficult few weeks. Last night she almost walked out the door bags packed while my wife and I were out at sport... 

My only hope now is that she can and will actually do the work and make an effort!

Thanks everyone!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance