Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Removed.

Removed.

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Advice for dealing with family member who refuses to accept they have schizophrenia

This sounds like a tough situation. Since he's over 18 he has the full rights of an adult.

If he is a danger to others and himself I do believe you can get him sectioned in a hospital for a time but it's really something your going to have to talk to an expert about.
Krishna
Senior Contributor

Re: Advice for dealing with family member who refuses to accept they have schizophrenia

Hi @Former-Member  Im sorry to read of your brothers illness and the difficulties you are facing as a family. I believe from experience that the only way your brother could be forced to take his medication would be through a Community Treatment Order which would have to be through a mental health tribunal. Your brother would need to be hospitalised for this to maybe be put in place. Perhaps call the Mater Hospital Mental Health Unit in Newcastle and they may be able to provide more accurate information and contact details of other organisations in the area that may be able to assist. Sending hope for a positive outcome. 

Krishna
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member   You may also like to watch a YouTube video by Dr Xavier Amador on a syndrome called anasognosia where people with schizophrenia don't believe they are unwell and therefore refuse medication. I have a daughter suffering from this horrid illness and the video helped me immensely regarding the reluctance on her behalf to take her meds. 

Hi @Krishna, thanks so much for you advice. This fits with what I've found during my research too. We'll definitely give the Mater a call for some advice, since we'd like a solid plan for how to approach the situation. And thank you for the well wishes 🙂

Removed.

Hi Walrus,

So sorry to hear about your brother. My sister is in a similar situation. About a month ago we called the police to report her missing, as she had disappeared from my parents house on the NSW South Coast. She was found in Newcastle and taken to the Mater. She has just been released and is now living in Newcastle on a Community Treatment Order. The staff at the Mater were very good to her and helped her find accomodation in Newcastle and apply for a disability pension (never willing before). 

It's bloody tough when they don't believe that they are sick. If you can get him to go along to see them there, he might be willing to talk to them and accept some treatment. In my sister's case, she was feeling "generally unwell" and willingly went into their care for apparent physical illness - they quickly assessed that she had other problems that needed treatment. 

I am also looking at assisted living situations that might be appropriate - there are quite a few options. 

All the best! 
LBC

Removed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance