Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

Online Event // Setting Boundaries as a Carer - with ARAFMI // Weds Aug 26th, 7-8.30pm AEST

Boundary setting is an important, albeit difficult, part of self-care when a loved one is living with complex mental health challenge. This may be harder and more complex for some than others. By setting boundaries, you are taking responsibility for how others treat you and your own needs seriously.

Boundaries_Carer.png

Join us for a 1.5 hour text-based chat with our special guests ARAFMI as we share ideas as to how we can set boundaries and look after our own mental health whilst caring for loved ones. This all happens on the night, right here in this thread!

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is this?

The event runs from 7pm - 8.30pm AEST on the 26th of August. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. 

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Our text based event takes place right here! As it is text based, no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

99 REPLIES 99

Re: Online Event // Setting Boundaries as a Carer - with ARAFMI // Weds Aug 26th, 7-8.30pm AEST

Hey there everyone and welcome to tonight's text based event on Setting Boundaries as a Carer!

welcomesaneforums.gif

As mentioned, the event goes from 7-8.30pm, it's all online - right here in this thread Smiley Very Happy We recommend you settle in with a cup of tea & with your laptop or computer at the ready! If you hit the refresh arrow on your browser every few minutes, you will see new questions pop up from myself as well as responses from the community. Feel free to reply to other members and share your experience 🙂 

I'd like to extend an extra warm welcome to those members who wanted a reminder of tonight's event 🎉🎉🎉 :

@Gypbel @frog @Em102 @Margeurite @Eucalyptus @Gigi_Park @Masey @PositiveChanges @CBRcarer @ruby7 @Specky @LEResearch @Pixi @Cherry @FindingStrength @Jzkm @csutak40 @maya1 @Nonny @Hydrangea @luckymeaunty @Former-Member @Beanpole @roses1 @Icare20 @Emelia8 @SunRize @Binky @Shaz51 @TBH @Anastasia @Former-Member @Nate2020 @Appleblossom @Former-Member @Dama 

I hope you all enjoy participating or reading along 🙂 

Boundary setting is an important, albeit difficult, part of self-care when a loved one is living with complex mental health challenges. Tonight we are lucky to have our friend @Bron from Arafmi joining in the discussion. Arafmi are for people who care for, or about, someone with a mental health issue, they are well versed in supporting carers through setting boundaries and maintaining self-care. Feel free to hit reply on any of her posts if you want to ask a question (within guidelines of course). 

Before we kick off the first question, let's get @Bron to introduce herself Smiley Very Happy...

Re: Online Event // Setting Boundaries as a Carer - with ARAFMI // Weds Aug 26th, 7-8.30pm AEST

Good evening. My name is Bronwynne. I’ve worked as the education facilitator at Arafmi for the last 5 years. To us at Arafmi, a mental health carer is a family member or friend who cares for and about a person who experiences mental health issues. My work involves facilitating educational workshops specific to mental health carers to help them understand the impact of mental illness; to better support their loved on the recovery journey; to improve their relationship with the person they care for; and how to care for themselves.

👋 Hello @Bron @nashy i am looking forward to reading along tonight as always

Hello @nashy@Bron , @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

welcome @Former-Member, great! We will post our first discussion point/question in a few moments! 🙂

Welcome @Shaz51 Smiley Very Happy Great to see you here this evening! I will post the first question in a moment Heart

hello @luckymeaunty@FindingStrength 

@Former-Member, @Determined@Anastasia@lovemyboys 

I am a bit confused as to how this works. Never been part of anything like this before.  I wish we had a Zoom meeting instead

Hi all. Thanks for this forum 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance