Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

beepboop1
New Contributor

Suicidal and depressed mother

Hey there,

my mum has been extremely depressed for a while now and talks to me everyday about suicide. she's on antidepressants and they don't seem to be working. i'm trying to get her out of the house everyday, we walk to get coffee. it doesn't seem to do anything for her. i don't what to do and i'm dealing with this on my own.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Suicidal and depressed mother

Hi @beepboop1  I feel your mum needs to be seen by her GP again to perhaps review the meds she has been given and a mental health care plan organised so she can speak with a psychologist. It must be really hard for you to know where to turn but am glad you reached out to the forum. I hope she can get in to see her GP soon as very distressing for you both. 

hello @beepboop1 , sounds like you mum might need to see her doctor for a maybe a medication adjustment my friend 

is there things that your mum enjoys doing 

letting you know you are not alone my friend 

@Krishna@JoBlo , @Former-Member 

Hi @beepboop1, were so glad you're reaching out here at the forums. The other members here have provided some great support and options like checking in with her GP that might be helpful for your mum. SANE also offer support services including counselling https://www.sane.org/counselling-support/sane-support-services. This can be helpful for people when supporting loved ones with mental health. In the meantime, were here for you at the forums. 

Hi @beepboop1 

My mother has early onset Lewy body alzheimers and she is always depressed and has no will to live.  She is 63years old and talks about when she is dead.  It is disheartening when your mum talks about death and how she doesnt see that she is hurting herself.  She does take anti depressant but her mood swings is uncontrollable.  We have constant visits from Consellors and her doctors but she still is down and no will to live.

How I deal with her down moods is talk about things that was great.. things she likes to do and sit with her while she does her activities.  I also remind her how much she is needed and that if she isnt around how can we deal with our family matters.  I dont stress her with issues, I just say that her grandson needs her to tell him what our cultures and beliefs are and her stories about the past.  

It is really hard to see your mum loose all will to live but I always try to find ways in letting her see that life is empty when she is not there and she still needs to be around to past the cultures/beliefs and elder teachings.  

Be safe.  xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance