Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Krishna
Senior Contributor

Re: My son

Hi @Time  I can relate completely with your concerns as my daughter is also on depot injections. Unfortunately side effects do cause weight gain. My daughter also has limited communication with the team looking after her, short one word answers, if any.  Sadly she no longer communicates with me at all. Personal hygiene is also an issue. Her medication keeps her calm and is lessening the severity of her schizophrenic symptoms to a degree but all I can say is that without her meds, things are a lot worse. We live in hope that one day a better form of medication is created. Sending hugs and support. 

We all feel guilty when we shouldn't. If the roles were reverse you would not want your parent to feel guilty.

He is constanly trying to figure out what is real and what is not real, what is true and what is no true. It is so hard. Each individual takes it in different ways. Not knowing what is reality and what is not is so hard. Inside he is sane, he just can't figure out what is true and what is not.

hey @Time 

Is your son on the NDIS?  I am just wondering how we can turn this into a win/win situation.  When you mention fighting, usually it ends up as a win/lose situation and that cant take a lot more effort than finding the win/win in the first place. 

I ask if he is on the NDIS as if you can coordinate with a support worker and look at alternative therapies away from drugs?  as an example, here is a relevant article I found about NDIS funding for equine therapy. 

https://www.openminds.org.au/news/working-horses-proving-beneficial-david

I hope this information is okay and thanks for posting so I can provide it for you. 

Time
Senior Contributor

Hi Aussie recharger this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say holistic options.  Grateful for your contribution well done good information.  My son is on NDIS and his passion and his love interest is by far Football.  I'd love to see him coach a small under age group of youths or little ones.  My son is gentle kind and sweet human being with a passion for football and making up his own games when younger.  Anyone know anything about how to get into this sport by way of NDIS assistance?  This would not only get him out and about more but would support the love he has for this game.  I will start by speaking to his case manager.  Thanks all 

@Time Hi Time - if you and your son have not already done so, I would encourage you to explore  alternative medications under the guidance of your son's psychiatrist. They continue to come out with new medications for MI, and there could be one out there that helps your son and has fewer side  effects. I have to say that my son was at his most stable during the 12 months he was on depot injections; but the side effects of that medication eventually got to him. He went onto a new medication which has been okay. Sadly though, his current medication still results in some weight gain, but my son finds this particular med to be more palatable than the depot injection and other meds he has tried in the past; and he at least does take it. It's all a trade-off. Best wishes.

Misty5
New Contributor

In my experience, the negative symptoms are medication effects. Low dose oral Sero quel is the best of a bad bunch. I assume your son is under a community team. If he isn't on a Community Treatment Order and you can afford it, try private psychiatry but you may need to try quite a lot to get someone who is client centred. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance