Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

livlex
New Contributor

Help- Mum who is Bipolar schizo-effective off meds and refusing to see GP (Long term illness)

Hi, I am new here and have no idea what to do.

My mum has had a mental illness for about 26 years.  It was diagnosed as a bipolar schizo-effective disorder.  She was hospitalized a few times involuntarily many years ago, but as she was in the public system, she would get medicated to “vegetable” state and get sent home to the GP who I now realize did not know what he was doing. 

After some hit and misses with medication, she was put on a drug that quietened the “voices” and delusions, but they have never really disappeared.  Occasionally she would get worse, and the GP and the local mental health facility would give her a new medication at the highest dose possible (she is extremely sensitive to meds), and that followed in odd behaviour, falls, and at one stage they thought she had a stroke as a side effect of the new medication.  My mother is now very wary of medications and will not take them if they restrict her feelings or make her extremely woozy.  But a balance would work for a few years or so and she was visiting her GP regularly and functioning pretty well. 

Anyway, she has pulled further and further back from everyone in her life over the years.  She has become more isolated, suspicious and delusional.  The crux came last year when the medication that had been quietening everything had got to the point it was at max dose, and she was experiencing tremors like Parkinson’s.  Her GP of forever retired and the new GP put her on some different psychotic drugs that had her falling, dropping off to sleep all the time (while cooking), and it was dangerous.  My brother moved in to become her carer, but she is very independent, and apart from him living there she will not allow him to control her meds, go to appointments or watch her finances.  He is afraid to push as she will just kick him out and disown him….. there is no forgiveness in her heart or delusions. 

I have noticed a decline in her appearance and an increase in her delusions over the last few months.  I asked my brother what is going on, and he said she is not taking anything except for an anxiety drug, but she tells him she goes to the doctor and they have “revised” her diagnosis to PTSD…  I am inclined to believe this is part of her delusions.

It came to the crux today when I Visited, and she seemed good for the first half hour, then I mentioned that an aunt had passed away. She looked at me and said that her mother (who in reality had passed away five years ago) passed away 26 years ago at 86 and that the aunt would be 106 and that it was all bull and I was full of s..t etc.  Then she started getting angry at her sisters (she is in complete delusional hate on them) and said that they didn’t read her poem at their mums funeral, but she never went to the funeral!!!! She also believes that computers and people using computers are cursing her (said sisters, ex-husband etc.), and aliens are infiltrating the world, and she is fighting them with energy. 

I have tried to get her to see her GP and let me come, but she says she is regularly going and is fine, and won’t let me come, and has refused my brother as well.  Last time she was this delusional I had to talk her sweet to get her to the GP, but right now she looks at me with suspicion and always gets angry at me if I stay more than half an hour (that seems to be as long as she can keep it together).  She needs treatment, but due to privacy the GP won’t talk to me, and I have been told to call the cops if I’m worried (goodbye relationship with my mother), but she does not seem to be dangerous to herself or others????? But I’m afraid we won’t know she is a danger to others until she does something. 

The system is so unsupportive, and my brother and I are not sure what to do.  I would appreciate any advice on services and support and a way to get her assessed maybe in her own home. Some community care from a mental health nurse would be great, but I am unsure how to access this type of support. Unfortunately, she has no private insurance, and a while back she finally got counselling and it seemed to help but the free sessions finished, and she can’t afford it on her pension.

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Help- Mum who is Bipolar schizo-effective off meds and refusing to see GP (Long term illness)

Hello @livlex

Lack of insight along with the dreadful side effects of psych drugs are roadblocks to accessing treatment which can help reduce symptoms.  Any member of your Mums treatment and care team, whether it be GP or mental health service, whilst not being able to tell you anything are able to a) listen to your concerns and b) provide general information about mental illness and its treatment. 

Family support services are available and they can help both you and your brother cope with Mum's situation. If you let me know what general area you live in (nothing identifying) I can send you some links. 

Darcy

Re: Help- Mum who is Bipolar schizo-effective off meds and refusing to see GP (Long term illness)

Hey there @livlex thank you for sharing, this is a very painful journey and no doubt stressful for you in the process. Have you considered seeking therapy for yourself as a support person?

Sometimes therapist's can help strategise well with those who are in the caring role, they may even have some ideas and insights into services in your area that can help and empower you in supporting her. I can understand that concern around what may happen if she's left untreated. Would you consider checking out therapist's/psychologist's in your area?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance