Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Littletink_
Senior Contributor

Borderline Personality Disorder

Hi everyone,

Most of you know me as I care for my partner with Bipolar. However, I know something is not right with me and hasn’t been for at least four years or more. I feel I am and have been dealing with symptoms of BPD but am worried that my GP and psychologist won’t take it seriously as I have been under a lot of stress with family situations and my partners Mental Illness as of late. Some of my symptoms are very distressing, they do come and go and I do manage, but some days I am finding it very hard. I don’t know how to start the conversation with my psychologist about being worried that I might have it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder

Hello @Littletink_

Maybe it is a little change in focus, but at the beginning of the session mention you need to talk about something bothering you and see how session develops.  I would think that they may take you seriously, but sometimes they dont want a person to think they are sick unless the the symptoms are bad. Their hesitation may also have an aspect of care for you. I think my doctors have done that in the past. Just try and open it up with the one you feel closer with that might understand.

Hi @Littletink_

I think the important thing to do here is not be concerned whether you have this or that disorder and self diagnosis which can be complicated, but to openly talk to your psychologist about "the symptoms that are distressing you". That is ultimately what needs to be addressed, discussed to cope better with what is troubling you.

My clinical psychologist explained to me that a mental illness diagnosis is to place a host of the patients symptoms together under a specified disorder - this is to aid the mental health professionals to treated the mental symptoms adequately for a better outcome. And not everyone fits neatly into a box - ultimately it is the symptoms that are medically treated and/or coping strategies offered to function better in day to day life,  so being totally open about those symptoms you speak of that is distressing you will see you get the best possible support and proper professional diagnosis. 

I have personally suffer mental health issues from a young child and I have experienced first hand that environmental stressors, such as problems in the home and being a carer, can be a heavy load on the mind and body, which does exacerbate any of these issues or by themselves triggers them. And sometimes life can be very hard and life difficult to cope which brings its own anxieties and depressions. A treating professional will need to know the whole picture in order to know what is causing and/or triggering your distressing symptoms. Best to be totally open and honest with your psychologist for best results. Wishing you all the best

Hi @Littletink_

As someone who suffers from borderline personality disorder, i underwent some extensive testing to determine if it was a personality disorder or if it was anothet mh condition. As others have said added stressors can really exacerbate mh conditions.
I agree with the others that just being open and honest with your psychologist can help. I wasnt aware that i had bpd until someone else had suggested i get tested for it. Maybe next time you could ask about an assessment to determine if you do have bpd rather than bipolar.
If you feel there is something more to what your experiencing its ok to speak up and ask

hello @Littletink_, checking in to see how you are my friend Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance