Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Grasshopper3
Senior Contributor

Back hernia and manager doesn't believe me!

I did my back in Monday and rang in sick Tuesday. My manager knows I am a carer. She said ok see you tomorrow then. I rang in sick Wednesday and said I'll go and see Doc if I can manage to get there. She said ok see you tomorrow then.

I can't even reach my bottom!  Woman Frustrated

So I went to the Doc Wednesday and he has given me a note I have to have Thursday and Friday off, and we made appoinment for Physio today. The painkillers he's given me don't give me much relief.

When I rang work Thursday and told my manager I still not ready, she said the Doc needs to give me a note for Tuesday as well. I said he cannot backdate, he didn't see me on that day. She said other employees have done so, so should I. 

This is causing me more anxiety as my work is important, I am the only breadwinner and I don't lie! She makes me feel I'm just making it up. I wish she could feel my pain! 

Has anyone else been through this? 

Grasshopper3

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Back hernia and manager doesn't believe me!

@Grasshopper3

Check your work place agreement

A statutory declaration is acceptable under many awards.

That sounds so stressful @Grasshopper3. It's awful when you're doing all you can to get well and do the right thing by work, and you're left feeling misunderstood by your employer. As @Former-Member mentioned, it might be worth having a read of your workplace agreement to get an idea of your entitlements. Some workplaces also accept things like statutory declarations as evidence for abscences. I do hope your back is feeling a little better today. Take care of yourself and I wish you all the best with work  🦊

Yes I have with doctors refusing to backdate. @Grasshopper3

It is terrible when people around you treat you as a malingerer.  I watched my father die in that way and was treated similarly by relatives.  Finally getting the hint to be very legal about stuff.

Hi @Grasshopper3

How is your back going?

Wondering how you you got on in relation to this with work.

@Former-Member@Appleblossom@Margot

Thanks for your feedback. I went back to work and no one asked how I was. I was telling myself not to feel guilty. I don't need to be put in that position though. I moved around in the office very slowly for the first week but with Physio (after work hours) I am getting more movement back.

I also enrolled myself to YOGA, my first go was last Monday night, and my back and mind felt really good after!

I couldnt do all the moves but hey, I'm doing something NICE for myself 🙂 

My dad made me laugh, he said work only believes you're crook if someone hands in your death certificate! 🙂

Grasshopper3

Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance