Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Janna
Community Elder

Anhedonia

My son had a review with his psychiatrist yesterday. This is a fairly accurate snapshot of the dialogue that took place during the course of the 40 minute consult.

How have you been? OK
How is your mood? Same
What is the same, can you be a little more specific? I don’t know
Can you rate it out of 10 with 10 being good and 1 being bad? 5
So what other things have you been doing? Nothing
How is your sleep? Good
How long do you sleep for? I don’t know
Do you sleep at night? Sometimes
Do you sleep in the day? Sometimes
What about exercise, are you doing any exercise? No
Do you leave the house? No
Have you caught up with any friends? Not really
So what do you do all day? I don’t know
Are you on your computer? Yes
What do you do on that? Anything

and on it went.

Then:

Would you be interesting in attending group therapy? No
Why not? I’ve done groups before
What about exercising, like taking a walk every day? It’s boring
Well I know it’s not exciting but it’s good for you? Shrugs shoulders
How about taking a walk around the block? I’ve walked around the block before, it’s boring.
What about doing an online course? Not interested
What about doing something like cooking or helping Mum cook? Not interested.
Why? It’s boring
How often do you go out? I go to therapy every week.
Well that’s good. What are you working on in therapy? Trying to find something I like.

This went on and covered almost every conceivable idea with each and every one of them being negatively received and rejected.  What came across loud and clear is that nothing whatsoever appears to ignite any interest or enthusiasm in my son.

When I returned home the word “anhedonia” suddenly came to mind (a flashback from my study days) as I was sure that this was the term to describe this state of continual displeasure that he has with almost everything. I was right. Anhedonia is the inability to feel pleasure in normally pleasurable activities. It is the opposite of hedonism which is when someone pursues pleasurable activities in a very self-indulgent way. It is one of the main symptoms of major depressive disorder and is why people with this lose interest in nearly everything - friends, hobbies, school/work, etc. After reading further into this it appears that scientific research has found differences in the brain of depressed people that confirms that their pleasure pathways to areas of the brain relating to reward and motivation do not function the same as healthy individuals and are impaired in a way that can best be described as having faulty circuitry.

For anyone dealing with depressed individuals it may be worth reading up on anhedonia as it may broaden your understanding of the disorder. It certainly reminded me that my son’s displeasure with almost everything, and lack of interest in anything, is not a conscious choice but rather a real neurobiological impairment which he is unable to control.

Janna Heart

9 REPLIES 9
Lunar
Senior Contributor

Re: Anhedonia

Hi there @Janna,

Thank you so much for sharing this information and lived experience of Anhedonia, I'm so sorry your son if feeling this way that must be incredibly concerning for you and tough for him.

I am actually doing a class on Addiction currently and this is also common amongst ice addicts and alcoholics.

Last night it was discussed that the process of thinking about something that is enjoyable in the future such as 'looking forward to something' actually increases dopamine, it can be challenging finding actual activities that are enjoyable but finding things to look forward to also actually increases dopamine apparantly.

Also, we learnt that by sharing an activitiy with a person, actually amplifies the enjoyment, such as when you see a band you enjoy alone it's fun, but if you go with a friend it's much more enjoyable.

I thought these were interesting as I could relate myself, especially in regards to looking forward to things. Just the act of thinking about it makes me feel good, which is the dopamine and the pleasure it gives you when released.

Thanks again for sharing Janna I look forward to hearing others experiences. Please take care and thinking of you and your son,

Lunar 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Janna, will do thank you, your poor son. Hope he finds some pleasure. Mindfulness would help him if he'll try. Hope he's seeing a psychologist as well, that psych sounds like he was stuck in a loop, should know better. Have a good day xox
Former-Member
Not applicable

Anhedonia is also a relatively common side effect of antidopaminergic neuroleptics or antipsychotic drugs. It can also be a side effect of withdrawal from stimulants such as phenethylamines, or amphetamines and opioids such as heroin and morphine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia
Grace4
Casual Contributor

Thank you for sharing. This is my first post ever on any forum. I'm new to this group. I just wanted to say this sounds so much like my son. He spends hours on his computer playing games and tells me it is the only thing that stops him from thinking. It hurts to think he says. With every suggestion we make, walking the dogs, a course on line, reading, a movie or anything to get him out of his room, he says no. In fact he doesn't say much at all. He hasn't worked for over a year and is rapidly using his savings. He buys takeaway constantly, sleeps most of the day and is on his computer during the night. He is currently seeing a psychologist just as i am so I can cope with the situation. We are trying different medications and have not found anything yet that seems to help him.

Nothing seems to interest him other than the computer games. I would like to pick it up and throw it in the bin but I'm fearful of his reaction. He lives with us and two of his brothers. I know his self esteem is low and he is aware that this is not healthy for him but he doesn't seem to care. About himself or any one. He has lost contact with all friends. I'm not sure where to go from here but I have found your information helpful. Thank you 😊 

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that my post was something that you could relate to. I'm sorry to hear that your son is also suffering from "anhedonia". My son continues with this as well, although has shown a very small improvement. The way you have described your son sounds almost identical to my son. Nothing motivates them - they simply are not interested in anything. I consider that their computers both contribute to their social exclusion and give them social inclusion. I've considered removing the computer but felt that I couldn't remove the only thing which gives him some joy and a connection with the outside world. My son does not only game on his computer - he reads, watches shows, listens to music etc. It's a difficult place to be in and I wish you all the best. We can only hope that this comes to an end one day and they emerge from their cocoon.

Love
Janna ❤️

Former-Member
Not applicable

hello @Janna @Grace4 @Former-Member

similarities with my son....his world mostly revolved around computers and everything associated with computers...electronics...games...built part of his computer....set up security system...did on-line computer studies..

did manage to start tafe course re computers....was doing so well...attending each session....back home then bus into city to do an extra night course....I was so proud of him and told him so repeatedly..

then summer break...christmas....did not go back

ditto with the take away food....

he did have some friends though...I do wonder if he was used by some of them...my son was very generous...

this was how his life was leading up to last cto then fleeing the state

I think that social media and technology...the new virtual world... fills a need that they cannot meet in reality...

I am doing the very same now....I can release some of my emotion on here...I can also reach out to others whom I connect with in some way...or who just need a response...

stigma of mental illness has a long way to go..

these days everyone assumes that if you have a mental illness ..you must have taken drugs..

thinking of you all....am a tad weary at the moment...not good at this time of year

take care

Thank you Janna I don't feel so alone now x

Thank you. I do wish you peace at this time of year. I know it's the thing I long for x

Hi @Former-Member. You've raised a great point about social media and technology. I know that they have often been my lifesavers.

I'm also starting to feel that pre-christmas pressure building. It has been a big year and I'm looking forward to a rest after christmas. Take it easy and look after yourself.

Janna ❤️
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance