Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Ups and Downs of Husband`s Mental Illness

at least family sticks closer to us that friends @Faith-and-Hope, @Smc

Hello @Former-Member, very interesting ,mr shaz talking about his social anxiety disorder and OCD

how did Mr Darcy go

Mr Darcy does not have social anxiety  @Shaz51Every now and then Mr D mentions his OCD, realising some of his checking is not normal. He gets upset about 'flashbacks' which from what I can tell are just memories - but he finds them intrusive - even the good ones upset him as much as the bad ones as he feels that life can never be good again, the bad ones, well, they are just bad.

@Former-Member, I think the main difference between a flashback and a memory is that a flashback neurologically mimics the event as if it was happening right now, instead of it being a recall of something in the past. Also they tend to be involuntary, and perhaps triggered buy something which matches part of the neurological pattern of the original event, but may be unconnected. One I've read about is a flashback to a nightime car accident triggered by dappled sunlight (sunspots) because the person's brain connected spots of light with car headlights coming towards them.
If I stop to think about it, I can build up a pretty accurate composite memory of car headlights at night. Spotting them in the distance, seeing them light up the trees beside the road, the painful dazzle when someone doesn't switch to low beam soon enough. But for someone having a flashback to a road accident, the flashback is as completely out of the blue as the original event, and all the emotions of the event are playing through again, as well as the sounds, sights, smells and sensations of the original. It's like your brain has suddenly teleported you back to the instant of the event, and then out again, and you have to try to mentally readjust to the real here and now.

(Is a bit currrent for me. Older Daughter rang last night having had a flashback to a school bullying incident, and wanting help getting "grounded" again.)

There are many things I do not understand @Smc.  I just do what I can so that we can live as well as possible in spite of Mr D's diagnosis.  

Yep, @Former-Member. We're often just plain puzzled here too. I guess I like to be able to understand things, but though I get a reasonable insight into some of it, other things completely confound me. Maybe the bits that are comprehendable are like "lighthouses" to me, giving some point of reference in all the confusion.

That puts it into a nutshell really well for me @Smc ..... thank you.

🙏 

How is mum going @Shaz51?

That's a very good explanation of flashbacks @Smc

Flashbacks are confusing & very hard to deal with (experiencing them).

I have frequent emotional flashbacks, without any visual component (or visual memory) with them.

That's even more confusing, because without the visual memory I don't know where it comes from.

My psych said emotional flashbacks are more common with CPTSD (without a visual memory).

Adge

That puts it into a nutshell really well for me @Smc ..... thank you.--- me too @Faith-and-Hope

Hello @Adge, @Former-Member, @Determined

thank you @Former-Member, mum is ok , she has been home for 2 weeks so far Smiley Happy

but nearly lost my uncle ( my second dad ) last night Smiley Sad

he is being treated with 7 different AB`s 

Hello @Former-Member, @outlander@Appleblossom@PeppiPatty

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance