Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tia2207
New Contributor

The need to vent

Hi all, my partner has been battling with anxiety and depression for around 4 years. Part of that is a health condition that he believes impacts on his ability to work and sometimes to leave the house. He has been on medication for a few years now and thankfully the every day rages and attempts to hurt himself have settled to maybe 4 a year. He was doing really well this time last year, working as well but slowly he is creeping back into only wanting to be around me, that he can't work and that he is not safe outside of our home for fear of having a choking fit. He was helping a friend out in a factory about once a week but has not been back for two weeks after not feeling very well there. He is drinking most days and I have the uneasy feeling that he has started to deteriorate again. Like many others we have little to no support. His family live in another country and my family do not live near us. He has a few friends but I can see them drifting away, as are my friends. I like I have a heavy rock on top of me and I cannot see a way out, only that things will keep on getting worse. Is there any hope or support?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: The need to vent

Hey there @Tia2207 

Welcome to the forums. It's great to have you here and thank you for sharing what you're going through.

I can see how tough and isolating it has been for you while supporting your partner on his mental health journey. It can also feel very disheartening when their recovery is interrupted. You have come to the right place as our fabulous community members will be able to offer you support, information and connection. Reaching out and connecting as you have today will hopefully help you see some light again.

Have you spoken to a counsellor or another professional like a GP? It sounds like you could benefit from some individual professional support. You can ring our Help Centre (Mon - Fri, 10am - 10pm) to speak to a counsellor- 1800 18 7263.

Kind regards,

Sphinxly🐣

(Moderator)

Thanks, he has a GP appointment next week. He did have counseling, which he responded well to but does not want to go back. Will see how it goes.

Hi Tia2207,

I find myself in a very similar situation. What did help me to get more support is seeing the GP for myself and get a mental healthcare plan. Now I see a coundelor every 4-8 weeks when I feel I could use some help or a moment to vent. It’s important to go easy on yourself & to take time for self-care.

Hope your husband did get some support from his last visit at the GP.

Take care,

Gigi

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance