Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Son (22) with schizophrenia

Hi,

My son gets a doctors certificate from his psychiatrist, for Centerlink and his job seeking place. It gives him 3 months of not having to look for work...which fills him with SO much anxiety...I think the psychiatrist reviews it after the 3 months.

I understand that keeping busy and doing something would be good for them, but they are just not up to facing all that.

I agree that the staff at Centrelink have no idea or compassion regarding MI...

Nice to see you are enjoying your meditations.

Cheers Libra xo

@Sophia1

asio.... My son also explained to me how he is being watched, I try to explain only if he is threat, there are millions of people out there, impossible to single him out, unless there is a reason for it. 

Scary stuff once you look into it yes. How clever are our boys, I never worry about things like that, I have nothing to hide? 

Dear Sophia1, I can see how the flow in the river gets interrupted by rocks and pebbles and your leaves were piling up! interesting how we both see life a bit different with the 'disruptions' (I saw waterfall on the left, a huge one!) but have same outcome, disrupting the flow. How we deal with this is the answer lol (bit of psychology for ya 😉

Grasshopper3Heart

@Libra

you wrote:

I have felt that my sons illness has taught me SO much about life and how to cope, and I'm so thankful for that.

It has taught me that not everyone has it all together (probably no one,lol), it has taught me to accept everyone and not to judge, as we never know what someone has been through. "Walk a mile in my shoes".

Also, the strength of love between a mother and child....

Dear Libra, I could have written this! I let my son know, he is very intelligent, I learn so much from him, I have talked to other patients in the mental ward, and they all have a story to tell, so much more interesting than 'mainstream'. 

How strong is the bond we have? I ended a 7 year relationship as my partner refused to accept him. I left a 5 acre property, with a cleaning lady and all, left many fury friends (dogs) behind to help my son and give him a roof above his head. These are the sacrifices we take as this bond is stronger than anything else. I can see if the MI takes over it would totally crush ones life, sometimes litterally unfortunately. It happened to a lady in my community, just lives few blocks away from me. The son came off his meds, injuring her and 'finishing off' her husband, his dad.... I have so many questions but out of respect I don't ask, just helped her out with some transactions at my work and wished her well. I had to step outside for few minutes to calm myself down. 

What an outcome.... 

Pat on the shoulders to all of us and keep swimming! 

Grasshopper3

Heart

@patientpatient

That was very informative re: JCA and ESAT. I haven't had the time to contact Centrelink myself to ask why the job agency is breathing down my sons neck, so shortly after a meds change. He had his weekly visit from his councillor but he was on his IPAD when my son was walking around in circles for an hour and a half trying to get through to Centerlink. I asked my son if the councillor gave him any advice but appearantly not. So this Forum is very helpful, glad you responded. Thanks very much. Now I can look into this. How is your son? How are you? 😉 

Love,

Grasshopper3

Heart

Hello @Grasshopper3 and all others passing

I did not receive notification that you had responded to me....so apologies for not responding sooner....

the lovely mrs shaz left a trail tagging me....I then read the other responses and yours....

I too was going to suggest the specified medical certificate from the psychiatrist prescribing the new medication...I did not want to overload you....or sound as though I am the one with all of the answers....

Even though we have our own issues...does not mean that we can totally empathise....yourself, libra, patientpatient all live with this illness everyday alongside your loved ones....mine is in my head and occasional contact ...

schizophrenia with paranoia added in is not like other mainstream mental illness ..

The idea of study is a good suggestion...."my family member does this"...I am not sure where anymore as questions posed are never answered...treading on eggshells constantly as texting or telephone conversations are nothing like face to face where all other forms of communication are visible...

I wish you all the best all of you as always...keep on writing...tag me if you don't mind 

take careHeart

Hi @Grasshopper3, we're doing OK. Son's gradual med change only got so far and had to be reversed because of weight gain and general tiredness. He's now back on lower doses of the original meds and managing OK. I'm his nominee for Centrelink and I don't ring them because of the long delays in answering. I usually go to the local office (by myself), queue up and speak to someone. I also attend the job agency appointments with him. We did get his psychologist to write a report about what kind of work could be suitable (independent of the Centrelink assessment) and that's been useful to have. 

Hi @Grasshopper3

I just read through all the latest posts on this thread... 

It reminds me of when I was in the early stages of my MI and navigating myself through the system. I was totally not interested in working. My life was in pieces compared to where I wanted it to be. 

I was lucky to have parents who helped out as much as they could. It's all a very surreal experience now I look back on it. I was very much in a state of dismay. I was very helpless against the way the world and society worked. I was pointed in a direction that  headed toward system dependency. And sure enough that's  how it turned out. 

I've not looked for work, for about 6 years now. I've been unemployed for around 9 years. And have only worked about 2 year out of the last 12 years.  Apart of the reason I hesitate to look for work and concentrate on maintaining work. Is because it messes with my dsp amount. It messes with the rent amount I pay and concessions I get. And I'm genuinely concerned I cannot find or maintain suitable work which will financially allow me to live in better and different circumstances. Meaning, private rental, buy a home, provide myself with my needs and wants (a better life) 

I've had some experience with working. And it's way to hectic, chaotic and stressful. It's way to demanding. Besides that lol I'd probably only ever be lacky status, bottom of the ladder, never able to make a good career of any job... It's very disheartening... 

With no means of being able to provide myself with my needs and wants. Comes stigma and cuts me off from mainstream people and how mainstream works. Loss of normality... I've lost all my skills. 

Eude. 

Hello @eudemonismand all others passing now and in the future..

I want to thank you for your courage and honesty in responding to all of us struggling coming to terms with the symptoms and difficulties of learning to live with schizophrenia..

As parents ..carers we can research..read...listen and read about the experiences of other carers..

Your input on here is very helpful and much appreciated..

I am glad that your parents were there for you helping you deal with the government dinosaur..Centrelink..

Most of all I am quite sure that I am not alone in saying to you ..keep on believing in yourself...if it is not paid work that would affect your pension..volunteer work in areas that you have not tried could open up new doors..

take care

@eudemonism

you wrote....I've lost all my skills...

Hang on dear Eud, you have skills: you are an articulate writer, helping others to understand when some days when you are struggling, you still have the courage to write about it, how you cope and what your triggers are.

You have financial skills for sure, eventhough you're on a tight budget, you manage your rent, bills, even have a car and a cat and a dog...

You must have many more, cooking skills, cleaning skills, you are managing your appointments, your meds. Pat yourself on the back matey, be nice to yourself!

Love,

Grasshopper3

Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance