Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Worriedmum6
Casual Contributor

Schitzoaffective disorder

I've just joined this space as I'm struggling with my daughter's mental illness. She has majorschizoaffective disorder. We got the diagnosis last year after I instigated a welfare check. She was put into the physc ward for 3 weeks. I did that because she refused to go to the doctor's and was neglecting my granddaughter. She hasent forgiven me for it. She blames everything on me and she's probably right to an extent. I ended up having to cut contact with her before Christmas as that is what she wanted. I seemed to just make it all worse for her. I miss her and worry about her so much. At the moment I'm hoping that she will get back in contact with me and we can maybe navigate this together but she doesn't believe anything's wrong with her. I'm so sad most of the time and am trying to stay positive and just giving her time. Thanks for listening. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Schitzoaffective disorder

Welcome @Worriedmum6 and big virtual hug going out to you. I could hear the pain in your post, but I could also hear the care you have for your daughter 💛Getting help for a loved one can be difficult territory to wade into, and as you've experienced, these tough decisions can sometimes have some upsetting consequences for families.

I genuinely hope that you'll be able to reach a place of harmony again with your daughter, and I suspect there are others in the community who can relate to your story – there are many parents here who've experienced similar stories to the one you've shared. It might even help to use the search bar at the top of the forums home page and type in keywords related to your experience. You can also use the @ button to tag a moderator for assistance, like this @moderator.

Here is a post that you might find helpful, just in terms of in hearing a story similar to your own, and I might tag the member who posted it too @JennyM (hope that's ok!).

Kudos to you for the bravery it takes to reach out and share your story. I hope that you find the community here to be supportive and uplifting.

Rhye ☘️
Peer Support Worker – Forums

Re: Schitzoaffective disorder

Hi @Worriedmum6  I’m sorry for the heartache you are experiencing. I’m in a similar situation as are others on this forum so know you are not alone with your sadness. It’s a waiting game hey? I don’t know the reason for my daughters estrangement from myself and family, it’s not something she’s ever expressed to anyone so I keep the lines of communication open with occasional texts etc. just saying hi and reminding her that she is loved. Communication is not something that can be forced so in the meantime try to focus on other things in your life that bring you some joy and peace and when the sadness is overwhelming simply sit with it and let it be. Tears will flow and that’s okay. 🙏❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance