Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Talhia
Casual Contributor

Family mental health problems

Hi I am new to this but I am worried about my daughters mental health. 

I my daughter was hospitalised with a severe psychosis when she was in her early teens. It was a long time before she  got better. Not long afterwards she started a family with her partner who spends part of each week at her house. She has severe anxiety at times and says things that are not logical and a bit paranoid, but manages her life well despite this. She is unable to manage the anxiety when she has worked and finds it hard to give the school aged children her full attention because of this. They have three children. The oldest child was there when my other daughter told her she has schizophrenia. This caused an argument as he said he agreed that she was mentally unwell. He is 15 and argues with her when she says something that does not make sense. This is stressful for the other kids as this often happens . She looks after them well but won't get help 

for her anxiety. I have tried to persuade her to see the docter and to tell him how bad this is but she only gets treatment for migraines an neck pain. There is a lot of stigma when a person is labelled with a diagnosis like schizophrenia as people still think that they may be dangerous  and unreliable. My daughter does not drink or take drugs since her acute psychosis and doesn't hear voices or anything. My 13year old granddaughter is showing signs of depression and anxiety now. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Family mental health problems

Hello @Talhia 

Your daughter has done really well to raise her 3 children in spite of her diagnosis.  It is a difficult line to walk.  I can imagine it would be difficult for 15 year old. Proper parenting, limits and adolescence is a big challenge.  

I am not sure what state you are in, but a service like this might be applicable.  However if your daughter is afraid to seek help and follow through it makes it tougher.  They may be able to offer alternatives.

https://www.bouverie.org.au/news/category/familytherapy 

hello @Talhia 

how are you going my friend 

seeing how your daughter and your grandchildren are going 

Not too bad my daughter is not working at the moment although she wants to eventually. She has been having a lot of anxiety attacks but is not keen to have any help.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance