Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

mikki
New Contributor

Elderly Brother-In-Law In Trouble

Hi,

Completely new to this, but not sure where to turn. My husband's brother (71yo) is notably mentally ill (diagnosed in his 20's I believe), hearing voices which tell him to deliver messages to the primary school children - and hence after many times of walking onto the school property over years, and numerous run-ins with the police, he is now to appear in front of the courts later next month. Next time he does it, prior or post the court appearance, its jail. He says he won't stop visiting the school regardless.

We take him to work with us most days, and other family members visit him on others, however those few days he is not with one of us, off he goes back to the school. He has been told by all the family, the school and the police to not visit - but he is of the delusion that it is his calling in life.

Last week we had a call from the real estate agent of the house we rent for him to say he had wandered into the neighbours house at 1am - they knew him, so no police or charges pressed, but obviously distressing.

There are many other obsessive behaviours - collection of plastic bags, feeding of birds, etc.

I do not think he would ever hurt anyone (he's very frail), but I am seriously worried for his safety - either someone hurting him, or possibly going to jail - he wouldn't last a day.

He has not been to a doctor in many years and has not been formally assessed, but shows many symptoms of schizophrenia. My husband can't grasp that this is the brother he used to look up to (13 years younger) and thinks we just 'see what happens'.

There has to be something we can do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Elderly Brother-In-Law In Trouble

Hi @mikki

I don't have any immediate answers for you, but just wanted you to know that your post has been noticed.

Its great that you have reached out, recognising that you are not alone in trying to cope with this, and that others will be able to help you with it.  It can take a little while, but others who are more knowledgable than I am will pick up the thread.

Take care.

🌷

Thank you for your words...

hi @mikki just wanted to jump in and say welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about all the difficulties you're having with your brother in law. There are a number of people on here caring for a loved one with a schizophrenia. It can be so difficult when the people around you don't understand the nature of mental illness, or are very fearful of people with a diagnosis because they act in ususual ways. You might like to have a read through our recent Topic Tuesday discussion on schizophrenia myths and misconceptions. Thanks again for sharing. I hope you find the forums to be a safe and welcoming space to share more of your story. 

Hi @mikki

Does your brother in law live by himself? 

Could a community support organisation provide a check in on the days no one is with him? Some services will just pop around, others might take him out - it just really depends on the individual organisations in your local area as to exactly what they offer.

You may have already looked into this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Nik

This is such a great idea!!!

Welcome to the forums @Larrydraper ..... 👋

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance