Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

bugnerd
Casual Contributor

looking for some novice friendly tips for delusions and hallucinations

hello i am looking for some advice on how to manage delusions and hallucinations. just yesterday i was finally able to tell my partner what i have been experiencing all of my life and it has been such a relief. but today i am finding that it is quite hard to manage the delusions and hallucinations now that i am calling them what they are. does anyone have any tips on how to manage auditory hallucinations and delusional thinking? i am in the process of seeking medical help but that is not until next week. i have a list of questions that i ask myself to ground myself back in reality but they don't quiet the voices 😞

7 REPLIES 7

Re: looking for some novice friendly tips for delusions and hallucinations

Hey there @bugnerd 

Thank you so much for sharing what you're experiencing. 

How long have you been experiencing these delusions and hallucinations? 

Sitting with you,

amber22

i have had them for as long as i can remember. i dont know an exact age but they started before i was four years of age.

Ah I see @bugnerd 

When you have these hallucinations, is there anything that helps distract you or take your mind off of it? Something that can pull you out of these thoughts for a little bit?

i usually play some music and sing along or read something. it was tricky though because a couple of days ago, songs felt like a conversation and that was scary/confusing.

Those sound like some great things to distract yourself with @bugnerd 

Do you sometimes go for walks or do other activities that might help too? 

What do you read or listen to? 

Hi there and welcome to the forums @bugnerd

Good on you for reaching out. It sounds like you have tried a few different things to help with the hallucinations.

Do you feel your condition really affects your life in a negative way so that perhaps medical intervention is worth considering?

I’m glad you were able to speak to your partner. It must have been so liberating for you!

Looking forward to seeing you around on the forums!

@bugnerd , I've also heard that music is helpful, and making music is more effective than listening. If words are too much, maybe you could try playing or humming a tune without lyrics?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance