Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Winning recipes!

Ahh! I need something easy, quick and (somewhat) healthy for dinner.

I'm sure we're all strapped for time - does anyone have any winning recipes they care share?

Keep Out Or Not : Want To Eat Cake For Dinner, Know It's Wrong, Conflicted. - by Anonymous

61 REPLIES 61

Re: Winning recipes!

Check out:

http://www.ceresfairfood.org.au/recipes/

As a vegetarian, this is my go-to, lots of yummy recipes, and they're based on seasonal veggies and fruit too! 😄

Hi CherryBomb

With the colder weather upon us I love making a BIG pot of soup, Here is my recipe for a creamy roasted pumpkin soup.

INGREDIENTS:

2kg butternut pumkin

500g potato (skin removed optional)

1 leek

1 cup cream

2 lts vegetable or chicken stock (water or combination if prefered)

1 whole head of garlic (as much or as little as prefered)

6 rashers rindless bacon (shortcut is ideal) diced

salt and pepper to taste

1 bunch of parsley

olive oil

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 220 deg C

Roast pumpkin and garlic head with olive oil for around 30 minutes (until roasted)

Boil potatoes

Cut leek into thin slices

Dice bacon

To a large pot add roasted pumpkin (skin removed), boiled potatoes, roasted garlic, stock, leeks and salt and pepper.

Gently bring to a simmer. When leeks are soft either use a stab blender or food processor to make into a creamy consistancy.

Add diced bacon and warm through.

Add cream and mix through.

Add chopped parsley and serve.

GARLIC CROUTONS:

8 slices of day old sourdough bread or similar (cubed or roughly torn up)

Garlic cloves (crushed/minced)

Gently fry bread and garlic with olive oil in a frypan until golden brown.

TO SERVE:

In a large soup bowl add your finished soup and croutons and garnish with chopped parsley.

This is a very basic base recepie and can lead to some pretty exciting flavours. I often add corriander for some punch or I use Thai flavours with coconut cream instead of cream. This will make an awsome curried flavoured soup as well. I will often add a BIG dollop of sour cream to serve too YAY!

Vegeterians can leave the bacon out.

You can make this soup as basic or as decadent as you like depending on budget and health concerns.

Sounds delicious! I will try this recipe this weekend (minus bacon because I'm vegetarian) and let you know how it goes. Yum Yum!

Cooking this was the highlight of my weekend:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23320/carrot+and+walnut+cake

BeHappy

I used Harry's recipe over the weekend and made pumpkin soup. It was peeeeerfect for a winter's day. Delicious! 

Hey CherryBomb

Glad it worked out for you. I made an asian version over the weekend too!

Harry

I get my fruit and veg delivered every week from our local co-op. This means I don't get to choose what I get but I receive produce that's currently in season. At the moment, I seem to be getting a heap of cauliflower. 

As a child this was also a 'meh' veggie, the blander version of broccoli and this attitude has persisted through adulthood… that is, until tonight!

I made this soup:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22933/cauliflower+soup

It’s so simple and quick to make, and tastes great. Perfect for these winter nights.

Cauliflower is great!  My mum always used to do baked cauliflower with cheese sauce when she made a roast, perfect comfort food.  I will certainly give the soup recipe a go.

Here is a recipe that is one for sharing - it's not exactly healthy, but will make everyone you share it with very happy.  It's super easy to make, and looks pretty impressive at the end! I've added the changes I tend to make to the original recipe in brackets.  

Chocolate tiramisu

(Recipe by Donna Hay)

½ cup (125ml) (single or pouring) cream
300g (10 1/2 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
1½ cups (375ml) (single or pouring) cream, extra
1½ cups (375g) mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons coffee-flavoured liqueur
1/3 cup (80ml) espresso coffee, cooled
12 store-bought sponge finger (Italian savoiardi) biscuits

Line base and sides of a 32 x 7 x 8cm (12 ¾ x 2 ¾ x 3 ¼ in) bar tin with non-stick baking paper (*the tin I use is a bit bigger/deeper – also can be done in a Tupperware container of any size, with the lid on it’s easily transportable)

1. Place the cream and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool. (*I use a little more cream as it sets on the top and bottom to a nicer consistency, not so hard.)

2. Whisk together the extra cream and mascarpone until light and fluffy. (*I add seeds from a vanilla bean pod, or a dash of vanilla extract)

3. In a separate bowl, combine the liqueur and coffee and quickly dip both sides of the biscuits in the mixture. (*just do this step as you go with the layering)

4. Pour 1/3 of the chocolate mixture into the tin and top with 1/3 of the cream and half the biscuits. (I find it easier to pour the chocolate layer at step 1, then sit in fridge to set – easier to spread the mascarpone on top)

5. Top with another 1/3 of the cream followed by the remaining biscuits and cream. 
Pour over another 1/3 of the chocolate mixture and set the remaining 1/3 aside. 

6. Cover the tiramisu with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 3 hours or until set (overnight is good). 

To serve, warm the remaining chocolate mixture in a small saucepan over low heat. Carefully invert the tiramisu, and spread warm chocolate sauce over the top so that it drizzles down the sides just before serving.

anyone have some wonderful recipes they like to share with everyone

Hello @Bella1978, @outlander 

Hello @Harriet, @Harry, @BeHappy 

@BeHappy, i see you xx

I will have to write my recipes now @NikNik 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance