Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: What does RECOVERY look like to you?

You ask the tough questions @tyme 

taking my medicine and keep seeing my psychiatrist.

Recovery for me is a daily mission.

Recognition of even the smallest accomplishments is a goal.

But unfortunately I don't allow myself this luxury.

I've lost my self Worth.

I can't accept compliments I really struggle with this one.

I've struggled with chronic depression anxiety for a very very long time.

Recovery has been 2 steps forward 1 step back.

I've done counselling, therapy,maxed out on medication.

It's all just a distraction from the reality that my head is just screwed up.

My bucket is full.

As each day ticks by it over flows it's just the amount that varies.

I'm aware of my triggers.

I'm aware of a lot of s..t how to manage my feelings and thoughts.

But it makes no difference because I am burnt out and simply have no energy to practice anything.

Sorry I'm not trying to be negative here just being honest in a place where I'm anonymous.

A place where hopefully I won't be judged.

The weird thing it is so much easier to talk to strangers rather than my  own wife.

There's stuff I don't want to discuss with my wife simply because I don't want her to worry more than she does..

If you have gotten this far well it's more than I expected but thank you.

Recovery is finding things that distract me this is my respite.

@Carlo01 thanks you for being so open and honest about where you're at with your recovery. That's exactly what this space is all about, giving folks the freedom to talk about where they're at without fear of judgement or invalidation. 

Honestly, I think most of us find that recovery is a 'two steps forward one step back' kinda deal. But that's still one step forward! Progress is never linear in mental health, but every step back we do take is an opportunity to learn and grow. 

Burn out SUCKS, and really does drain all of our internal resources. So I hope you're able to give yourself some grace for not having the energy to actively work on stuff. I hope you can find some respite to be able to replenish your energy. And we're here to walk beside you as you go 💜

Hello Jynx
Thank you for your kind words

Kind regards
Carlo 01

Interesting question it really made me think @tyme...and interesting answers all round, i vibe with so many of them...recovery to me in this moment for sure feels like a process, a never ending cycle, a non stop journey towards being calm in my mind, calm in my heart and calm in my body.

@tyme  For me recovery is ongoing - I accept I won't be 'recovered' in my lifetime, the damage is too great. 

So recovery is about being authentic like @RiverSeal  said, going to all my medical appts and my volunteer job, going to social events, being able to function even on a low level, accepting my MIs, and being content mostly.

I am glad there is such a range of answers on this thread without pressure to be overly positive. For me the damage is too great and recovery feels an inadequate word. I get the intention. Am reading an interesting book at moment by Emmy van Deurzen:

Psychotherapy and the quest for happiness. 

She questions the goal of happiness. So glad authenticity has been mentioned and a nuanced discussion evolved.

recovery:

using your kit of self help tools, to get back to maintenance level, and then:

- taking stock, keeping yourself in check

- staying progressive, working away at better outcomes

- pursuing something that means something to you in life, e.g. planting a million trees etc.

WE CAN ALL , do these things, and many more.

Everyday.

Routine/ Vocation/ Self motivation & application, all help in getting you places.

Success!

: )

Thanks @Shaz51 for Tagging me into this Thread.

Recovery for me at the moment involves as much Self-Acceptance as I can give myself.

I came out of Hospital over 5 weeks ago, expecting & needing my Work Hours (Work Routine) to help me to adjust to being back home - Having more or less had a breakdown, before I went to hospital.

Instead my Employer never gave me any work again - Despite my stating my Full Availability & asking for work again, as soon as I came out of hospital.

I was effectively written off, without my even knowing that that's what had happened - because I was not given any indication that I would be blackbanned.

So in the face of record high anxiety levels now, whilst attempting to focus on Jobsearch & Applying for a new job - Recovery means or involves Staying Grounded as much as possible, whilst attempting to connect with people for like-minded mutual support & sharing.

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance