Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

We are fortunate to live in an area that is well above flood level. Retained power this time also. Where we were we used to live we would loose power due to water affecting infrastructure. Lots of people around the region without power at the moment. 

Waiting now to see what this new system will do now. Hoping it will follow their forecast and stay far enough north not to bring wet weather with it. In the past, significant follow up rain after an event like this results in a bigger event 😬

A few surprises this time round as due to where the rain fell the river levels.didnt follow the typical program. Usually we would have waaaay more notice and time to prepare. 

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Yep. Not a good time for being a tourist. People don't realise that 15cms of water can be enough to make a car lose traction. We've once driven through shallow floodwater, having watched a car drive safely through from the other direction first. That was an absolute exception to the rule for us... we were in the next town over when the water started coming up, and three of our four kids were at home nervously watching the creek rise. That one missed reaching our house by about 10cms of rise.

But you've only half answered my question- how are you and the family going? It's high stress watching a flood happening around you, even when you know your own house is high and dry.

We are our version of doing ok @Smc 

Our biggest drama is Darling worrying about being able to get groceries with panic buying that is happening atm.

Managed our usual shop today without needing and significant adjustments  asked on availability. 

Received a verbal job offer today.

I am a bit anxious about entering full time employment with the unstable covid evolving environment. And how Darling is going to cope.

(Edited 👇)

Potentially a great opportunity but may require some support from family to make it work. The desire for independence from centrelink seemed like a good idea at the time now I am a bit concerned about how wise it is. But at the same time if we are ever going to break the cycle and get out of the rut I feel we are (I am) in this is a good start. 

Know what you mean about a rut @Determined. 😕 We'd love to be Centrelink free, but know it's not an option for us at the moment.
Glad to hear you're otherwise as OK as can be expected.

Job is possible (sort of) @Smc  as it is only in school term.  That means I can be available when children are not at school. 

My mum is happy to help out but will be making darling do stuff for herself

(The care taker v care giver hypothesis)

Mum is worried I do to much and where would that leave darling and the boys if something happened and I was not here to do everything. Fair concern.

Have been discussing with darling creating a book of essential information. So she (and helper) would have somewhere to start if ever needed.

There is so much I just do as it comes along without know how or why if you asked me ahead of times what needed to be done so a bit of a process ahead. NDIS support coordinator gave me a big lecture about this ( in an encouraging positive way) 

you have lots to things to think  about @Determined  and hoping it all works out all ok for you and your family 

the new system up here is giving us lots and lots of rain at the moment 

we have cut out half of our workload due to mr shaz and my elderly mum 

hello and hugs @Smc 

Hugs back to you @Shaz51. Stay safe in the wild weather.

@Determined, I think what happens is over time we get tuned in to assorted "signals" from our family member/caree and almost unconsciously adjust how we do things. Younger Son having a steady girlfriend who has been joining in our family gatherings has really highlighted this to us lately, but I'd be struggling to explain how we do what we do, and maybe even why... we just do what we need to to keep some semblance of family functionality. But having another person in the mix (in your case, the NDIS co-ordinator) means you get an outsider's viewpoint, and gee things look different to someone who's not acclimatised to it.
And sadly, one thing it shows up is that the definition of "functional" gets gradually eroded over time until it doesn't really resemble what others would consider "functional". 😞 It's still better than completely falling in a heap, but.... yeah.

Yep @Smc 

That about sums up why I often  answer when asked how we are managing that we are doing 'our version of ok'...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance