Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Crucifix Orchids (Epidendron).

I should get some more of these.

I used to grow them (had them for years).

Unlike many other Orchids - they can happily grown in your garden bed (ordinary soil), in almost full-sun.

Other orchid types mostly need a bark mix (not soil) to grow in - & only tolerate shade, not full sun.

Epidendrum ibaguense (Crucifix Orchid) - Orange

@Adge 

I love liliums and phalenopsis orchids. I have an orchid an old neighbour gave me which has kept going for 4 years, it and others I bought need repotting in spagnum moss, will need to check YouTube or the like as to how to go about this. I got told an easterly window position was best, so far so good.

Have a few different liliums which I put in ground and am hoping they will come up again.

Former-Member
Not applicable

0[5].jpg

@Adge, we got a Phaelenopsis as a present, but it died out. When it started looking sickly, I passed it over to my sister for TLC (she's the orchid enthusiast/expert) but it was already too far gone.
Had Crucifix Orchids in pink, purple and orange when we moved here, but they died in the frost.
I do have some liliums in pots. Two pots of orange ones bought as markdown plants, and a white Madonna Lily. Both are doing well at present. When they die down again I'm hoping to divide them and try half of each in the garden.

@Former-Member, I splurged some unspent Christmas present money on three packs of tulips last week. They'll be part of this year's garden-brightening material. 🙂
I'm trying to add a few different varieties of tulips and other bulbs every year. Tulips in particular are one of the sweeteners of living in a frosty area.
The "Fringed Duet" pack doesn't name the varieties, but the most likely candidates are "Honeymoon" for the white one, and "Fabio" for the red and yellow.claudia.jpgflaming flag.jpgfringed duet.jpg

Very nice @Smc ðŸŒ·ðŸŒ·ðŸŒ·

The fringed tulips are very pretty.

Lovely to hear your veggie patch is up and running @Determined  

Our garden was looking better than when we left to go to the big smoke for Mr Darcy's surgery thanks to some weeding and watering done by a few friends , another blessing was a punnet of snow peas that I was given yesterday.

Nice that friends were able.to tend the garden for you @Former-Member . 

Darling has something eating her seedlings. I'm thinking rats by the bite marks. On tomorrow's agenda is some cages made from bird wire. 

@Sheila wondering how you a and your patch are coming along.

The Snails (very large, in large numbers) have been enjoying my Garden very much.

Far more than I have - seen by the amount of munching they've been doing.

The weather is cooler, these past few day - & it's rained lightly today.

So the snails have come out of hiding, in droves - probaby 100 or more (no exaggeration).

I've just spent quite a while, finding & squishing more than 50 snails - before it got too dark to see anything.

They were on their way, up my pots & shrubs - to munch everything.

Yuk, what a mess. I'm all covered in snail Goo (shoes & hands).

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance