Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ASDMumBris
Casual Contributor

Emotional eating

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Wondering if anyone else here is a consumer and a carer, like me. I find it hard to manage the stress and one of the things i do is overeat. Just wondering if it might be good to have a thread talking about this issue as I'm sure I'm not alone 🙂🙂

18 REPLIES 18
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Emotional eating

Hi @ASDMumBris 

Emotional eating as a carer *Raises my hand 

A few of us could do with some encouragement in this department but it is a bit if a tough one to negotiate here as the forum guidelines prohibit discussion around: 

• eating disorder behaviours (recommending diets, descriptive weight loss/gain strategies or any numbers relating to weight, BMI, clothing size, calo'ries or exercise)

Have you been able to see a dietitian about this?

images - 2020-10-02T185516.774.jpeg

Hey @ASDMumBris ,

Overeat? YES

Carer? NO

Welcome to the forums! I know it can be distressing to notice you comfort eat. I don't comfort eat, but I become a sugar/carb junkie after I take my meds each day. I hate it!!!

For example, last night, at 3am, I still couldn't sleep because I wanted sugar!! The annoying thing is, I wasn't even hungry! I ended up having yoghurt...then I got up again and had mango....then I got up again and had watermelon.....then I got up again and had rice crackers....then I got up again and had two ICE-CREAMS! I was sooooo annoyed with myself, because I know this is my weakness and I can usually tame it.

Being on my medication has caused me to be on the borderline of overweight and obese. I am quite active but the night eating is shocking.

To get to the point, now, when I crave food (even though there is no reason for me to feel hunger), I practise guided meditation using the "Smiling Mind" app on my phone. There is a particular meditation called "urges". That helps me a lot. Sometimes, I do it several times over. I'll send a pic of the program series on the app.

246A15DE-5476-49AE-A40E-990088A0D738.jpegGood luck if you decide to try it.

BPDSurvivor

Yep

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll definitely look into that app. Xxx

No not a dietician. I'm focusing on stress management, mindfulness and relaxation strategies. Psychologist is the key i think but it might not hurt to see a dietician as well. Thank you xx

Hi @ASDMumBris ,

I try any use the theory that the first bite does the damage, if you avoid the first bite this can be usefull. However I dont always succeed in this theory. And many times I can make myself feel sick from over consumption of the bad foods.

@BPDSurvivor my bipolar partner does almost all of his eating between midnight and 2am. At least now he eats the dinner I made him before the bad carbs and the 2 icecreams 😜

LOL @SJT63 ! It's okay to eat those things as a 'treat', but these cravings are intense! If I don't sleep before the cravings kick in, then I cannot sleep!

@ASDMumBris ... I hope you give the mindfulness tasks a go. It causes you to focus on your breath which automatically takes your mind off eating. As you practise it, you will become more adept and able to do it for longer so you do not have to give into the cravings.

Another thing I have done is....don't buy the junk food! If I don't have it at home, it takes more effort than it is worth to go buy it - in the end, I either snack on vege sticks or nothing.

Good luck @ASDMumBris !

BPDSurvivor

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning @ASDMumBris  @BPDSurvivor  @SJT63 @Karli 

I did see a counselor once who said that as I began to put strategies in place to help me cope better that my comfort eating would ease and I did find this to be true.

What I have found lately with some new stress is that I am choosing to ignore that little voice that comes to my mind every time I go to get something that is not healthy for me. 

Saw thia graphic that some of us might find to be helpful in relation to emotional eating.

HALT.gif

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance