Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Carers Hints and tips to Success

tonight`s topic might be good as a cares thread @Adge, @outlander, @Faith-and-Hope, @Former-Member, @Bella1978, @NikNik xxxxxx

Yes I'm never quite sure who to tag @Shaz51

I rely on having put myself on the Topic Tues list (Like Button) - to let me know when it's started (although I'm already waiting for it).

Adge

My cat Jelly ran amuck towards the end of tonight's discussion - she wanted to get my attention by destroying things...

So it was hard to concentrate on discussion.

Adge

@Adge
Destructo cat strikes again ... I don't think there are cat training classes as there are with dogs.

Have you seen sites like this one @Adge ?

https://m.wikihow.com/Deal-with-Attention-Seeking-Behavior-in-Cats

I hope something in it helps.

I think dogs are far more trainable than cats @Former-Member Although I've never had a dog.

Yes, you said it - she did strike again, always when I'm least expecting it (or busy trying to concentrat)...

Adge

No I hadn't seen info on Attention-seeking Behaviour (cats) @Faith-and-Hope

From reading that, I think that Yes I have been unknowingly Reinforcing her bad behaviour - by giving her more attention when she acts up.

It could also be due to some Boredom, as the article suggests.

It's very hard not to respond, when Jelly cat starts running madly up & down, or abruptly jumps (gives me a shock).

The article says to ignore it...

Adge

I think the ignoring it goes hand in glove with increasing the other suggestions @Adge .....

Cats love boxes and bags ..... you could construct temporary jungle-gyms for her by leaving a pile of different sized boxes in a heap on the floor, with any paper bags you can find (our cat used to hop into the paper shopping bags as my Mum emptied them out ..... when she went to pick up the “empty” bag it weighed like a cat).

Poke something rattley like cat biscuits inside a tin and replace the lid, so it rolls around the floor sounding intriguing ......

Take a container with a lid and fill it with everyday household things like a peg, a sink plug, a plastic teaspoon, a piece of cord or string, a bottle or screw-top jar lid, a screwed up piece of paper, a feather (if you are happy for her to play with one), dried leaves that crackle and tear ..... and leave it on the floor with the lid ajar enough to be a challenge.

Spend time patting her and playing one-to-one with a tease-toy.

If you can acquire or build “cat furniture” and give her her own corner, that would be good too.  You can look up thrifty ideas on the Internet.

morning @Libra

here are some great tips and hints for us

Hello @Faith-and-Hope, @Adge, @Former-Member, @outlander, @Bella1978, @Susanna

self care a.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance