Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Brain Dumping

This week someone told me they did a "brain dump" a term that I had not previously heard of.

A brain dump is similar but different to a journal. It is a simple technique to help you declutter your mind and thoughts - writing down all the thoughts you are having, in no particular order in a journal and then using that information to help you organize your time and efforts. Meaning you usually are much more productive and calmer. 

I like this explanation:
A brain dump is simply the act of dumping all the contents of your mind onto paper as one might dump the contents of a purse onto a table. You are spilling out stressors, your nagging thoughts, your pesky annoyances, jobs you need to do, goals you have. Simply open up a valve in your mind and let all those thoughts flow out of your hand and onto some paper. Write until you feel like the pressure inside of you is lessened and you can take a deep breath. Then you will have achieved a brain dump.

A brain dump gives you the raw data for processing into meaningful action.

When I understood the premise of brain dumping it reminded me of something that a friend does at the beginning of each year - writing down 100 things they might like to achieve that year. These included changes in her personal life, things to do round home, places she would like to go. It was something I was inspired to do before Mr Darcy became unwell. My friend who had been doing it for years said at the time of our conversation the best she achieved was 76. I don't know that I ever got passed 50 but finding one of these lists after a couple of years was interesting. I was able to cross off a number of things as being done, but also saw there were many things that we had not done that no longer held interest.

Brain dumps can be a once-in-a-while thing, or they can be a regularly scheduled, and very helpful, part of your weekly or monthly task management.

In the following two posts I will give a basic step by step guide as to the basics of what brain dumping. What I have written is only skimming the surface of what is another tool when it comes to looking after ourselves and if it appeals, you may want to give it a try, I plan on doing so.

As always I will remind you that whilst self help can be beneficial that sometimes the guidance of a therapist/ counselor can be beneficial and/or necessary.

images - 2020-10-31T170742.148.jpeg

In these first few posts I have quoted from these sources:

https://waylos.com/how-to-brain-dump/

https://littlecoffeefox.com/brain-dump/#:~:text=What%20is%20a%20Brain%20Dump,nagging%20thoughts%2C%2....
https://diaryofajournalplanner.com/brain-dump/

https://www.kneifelcounseling.com/blog/2019/4/29/feeling-overwhelmed-try-a-brain-dump#:~:text=One%20....

https://www.morningcoffeewithdee.com/brain-dump-exercise/#:~:text=A%20brain%20dump%20can%20be,Center...

28 REPLIES 28
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Brain Dumping

The first step in brain dumping is to sit down with some kind of writing tool, whether it’s your laptop or a piece of paper and a pen and you set a timer for 10-15 minutes and write down everything that is on your mind. Pen and paper is often suggested to be the preferred method.

There are no hard and fast rules as to how you go about writing things down. Some people like to use bullet points, others find it easier to put different thoughts in bubbles or may even do a quick sketch, but the main thing is that you write down all the things that are concerning you. At this point, the purpose is to "empty the clutter" from your brain and not concern yourself with having it in any kind of order. Using the handbag analogy the purpose is to dump everything out rather than removing items piece by piece. 

These are some things you might include in your brain dump:

What have you been worried about?

What do you keep forgetting to do?

What would make you really happy?

Did something go wrong with your day/week?

What really worked today/ this week?

What tasks never seem to get done?

Was there something you didn’t get time to do?

Is there an upcoming event or special occasion?

Are there maintenance tasks you keep meaning to do around the home, for the car or other areas?

Is there someone you keep meaning to contact? Or an act of kindness you would love to do for someone special. 

Are there any big goals you keep putting off that would make a big difference to your life. Maybe you want to take up yoga or start a new fitness routine.

Is there something you would love to learn?

Maybe there’s part of your routine that really isn’t working? 

Is there part of your home that needs rearranging or redecorating? 

Do you need to plan a vacation, party or other exciting events?

Is someone or something annoying you?

2018-09-15-08.45.23.jpg

images - 2020-10-31T170848.972.jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Once you have done the brain dump list the next step is to take a break

The break is important. You need enough time to step away from your thoughts, especially if your brain dumping session has been especially emotionally charged. At the same time, you don’t need to procrastinate on examining those thoughts.

The next step is to categorise and prioritise items on the list and create an action list. 

This is where you sort the items and begin to put them into a manageable order. As you look over the list you might see some trends that are emerging that will give you some insight. You will likely find most things fit in these two categories:

- Things you need or would like to do

- Things you’re worried/concerned/stressed about

When it comes to the things you need or would like to do, you might like to create subgroups, these might include health, home, work, jobs to do, things to get etc. You might break down big tasks into smaller tasks and you might even add or subtract from the list. 

Once sorted into groups you can then prioritise them and then create a task list. Seasoned dumpers will often create templates to help them with sorting and prioritising and there are plenty of bullet journal (bujo) template examples on line. Coloured pens, highlighters, post it notes, a whiteboard, "to do" lists can assist with sorting tasks. images - 2020-10-31T170946.464.jpeg

images - 2020-10-31T110014.126.jpeg

Things you’re worried/concerned/stressed about can be sorted into things you “can control,” and “can't control.” Be honest!

- Draw a big “x” through the “can't control” box if it makes you feel better 😉

- In the things I "can control” brainstorm your action steps. What can you do about the “control” items in order to help you feel less stressed?

The last step is to start doing the tasks in order of priority 😁, some people like to add in a deadline or target date as to when they would like to complete a job.

images - 2020-10-31T110044.565.jpeg

Whilst we can often manage things on our own, there is no shame in getting help in relation to either the practical or emotional tasks that we have identified. The purpose of the exercise is to reduce any overwhelm we have and again I gently encourage you to seek professional support as needed, we all need a hand from time to time.

images - 2020-10-31T175713.068.jpeg

ohhh Wow this is soo awesome @Former-Member Smiley Very HappyHeart

brain dumping -- very interesting 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Sophie1 

I know you journal, have you heard of this before?

Thank you for sharing this @Former-Member 

Hi @Former-Member 

Brain dumping is very similar to brainstorming which is a common technique used in corporate project world - it's a great way to explore a topic , ask a question and come up with options , understand many dimensions of a situation from the point of view of many people on the company or project . It also includes idea generation phase , then a grouping phase into like things, then a prioritisation phase and then agreeing on actions to take and assigning them ... 

I like the way it's framed below as brain dumping and for individuals rather than a group ... I will try it on myself tonight and let you know how I found it !! Funny I've done it for work countless times with groups and never really applied to myself ... and I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed and scattered lately so will be interesting to see how it helps me get some clarity ! 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I did a brain dump @Sophie1 and typed out all the thoughts I have been having. I have taken a break from it and know that to get the benefit of doing it, I now need to create an action plan and I might do this with the help of a counselor.

images - 2020-11-08T205350.867.jpeg

@Former-Member I'm starting to feel a little run down personally and as a carer  and not sure I've found the right counsellor yet ... I've asked for a counselling session with sane carers hotline again to talk it through and work out what I want from a counsellor and how to know I have right one 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hearing you @Sophie1  I am thinking of requesting a change of counselor in the service I was referred to as the one I am seeing is in a wider acquaintance circle. Whilst I know she is a professional, I don't know that I am entirely comfortable about sharing some things with her and perhaps feel she isn't quite on the same wavelength as me.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance