Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Boundary setting: Hints and quotes

When it comes to helping our loved ones, using non confrontational or motivational communication can be difficult but it can also be successful, this involves fostering empathy, waiting for expressions of the need for personal wellness/well-being, growth/independence and building on these.  This might include saying "we are in this together" ... "Am hearing you, it sucks having to take meds and I know you don't want to end up in hospital again,  there are things we can do to avoid this" ... "What is concerning you the most about taking these meds, can we help you with ways you can discuss this with your pdoc to see what can be done about this as it is important that any changes are made in consultation with him/her" ... "Adulting is hard, this is what adults do"... "While you were in hospital I did a bit of research for you and came across this that helped us understand your condition a little more and found out that in addition to meds, xy + z can help you manage your condition a lot better. Would you be willing to see if it makes a difference for you?" "You want to be able to buy this, let's see if we can help you get a budget/ savings plan in place so you can achieve this goal"

There are a number of ways that one can phrase boundaries that show you care, this might include a phrases such as "because we love you we can no longer participate in doing things that we believe are detrimental to you being a responsible adult"  ... and ... "The way we have been doing things is clearly not working and changes need to be made which may be difficult at first" ... and ... "As an adult the choice is yours, we are not forcing you to live here, but if you want to continue to do so ...."

Note: these conversations rarely go smoothly but practicing them with potential rebuffs can be useful, persistence is necessary.

images - 2020-08-05T021318.487.jpeg

images - 2020-08-05T022655.924.jpeg

images - 2020-08-05T022020.478.jpeg

thank you @Former-Member 

Hello @Gemma20@Pearl146@Determined Heart

this is soo good , but it is interesting , my mum is worrying about going into aged care home 

and with mr shaz --- still feeling on edge about the future , it is hard to totally relax 

images - 2020-08-05T021518.599.jpeg

images (21).png

Morning everyone 🙂

@Former-Member I found your Elizabeth Earnshaw quote below to be extremely helpful in placing boundaries as an act of compassion. 

My current favourites are: 

"If someone throws a fit because you set boundaries, it's just more evidence that the boundary is needed" 

and  

"The only people who get upset about you setting boundaries are the people who were benefitting from you having none"

which probably gives an indication of where my situation is situated 🙂

Best, Rabbit.

boundaries 12.jpg

boundaries 15.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance