Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Equal access to mental health services

Hi there,

SANE is creating a media release in response to a report released today, which showed that people from rural areas or with low socioeconomic backgrounds, do not have equal access to mental health services. Read more here

One of the objectives of the Forums is to be accessible to all - which is why we decided to make this peer support community online, as opposed to face to face.

The media release SANE is working on is to support the report and also to promote the Forums. We really want to reach those who don't have access to face to face support and get the word out there about the Forums.

As the Forums are peer to peer, we think there would be nothing better to hear from a fellow peer (ie: you!). We are unsure as to what attention the press release will get, but if there was to be a journalist contact us, we'd like to put them in contact with you. It would be anonymous and it could be print or radio. Some of the things you may want to talk about are;

- your thoughts on the forums  and why they are helpful to you

- how accessible they are for you and how you use them

- how awesome NikNik is... okay.. maybe not that one 🙂

As I said, we don't know what type of attention the release may get. To manage expectations, it  could be that there is no follow up needed and journalists won't look to us for more information, so we can't be quite sure what's involved.

This is due to take place at the end of this week / early next week.

If you want to know more, just email team@saneforums.org

Thanks

Nik

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Equal access to mental health services

Hi @NikNik 

I will definately say you and your fellow moderators are definately the goods.

In regards to the accesibility, i think in this day and age of technology, ie. mobile technology, having the forums user friendly for mobiles definately broadens the accesibility aspect, as just about everyone now a days has a mobile phone - classed as a smart phone, with internet access and what not, also having it accesible through PC's also helps greatly as most libraries have computer access, i would say that makes sane extremely accesible.

I think perhaps the only drawback being the moderated hours, however, 5pm til 10pm is 5 hours, i have also noticed that alot of posts from during outside these hours do actually make it into the forums outside these hours, so i am guessing that yourself and fellow moderators actually, look at posts outside of these hours at least once a day, and post what has happened throughout the off hours. So again no real accesibility issues.

My thoughts on the forum have always been ones of comfort, it's knowing that altho we are anonymously posting, some not so anonymous as others, we share a common interest, but interest is not quite the right word, our expierences are different, but we understand the different aspects each other is facing, we know we don't have to comment on absolutely everything, but we comment where we feel is right, we offer support for each other through the thick and the thin. and offer suggestions and encouragement to help get each other through the days.

I must admit, i love having access to such a diverse range of people to be able to share my expierence with, and to offer my support to when i can, i may not fully understand what some are going through, but i don't have to either, my support in just telling someone that they have managed a tricky situation, really well, helps.

I use these forums, as a space to write down my thoughts and feelings on my day to day life and struggles, what i am finding difficult or scary, when i am in need of comfort, it's as simple as writing a post that makes sense only to me, and someone clicking like, to show that my troubles have been heard.

I really hope this media release helps many others in realising how helpful this forum is and that upon learning they join and get to expierence what i have and others here have.

Thank you

Hi @NikNik 

I took part in a very short radio interview in the aftermath of the SANE report on suicide attempts and care experiences. Am happy to do one for the forums too if it would help, and there is a need.

Kind regards, 

Kristin

Thanks @kristin and @kato 

Kato - you are so right re: the 5pm - 10pm thing. All posts do go up that were posted outside of those hours, but not until 5pm when a moderator comes on. However, we are getting more resources to be able to be moderated for longer hours. I don't want to say too much or promise too much just yet, but expect some news around April - May.

Thanks for your insights Kato - it is pretty amazing the connection everyone has here. I hope that continues to grow and develop. People like you have played a big role in developing the community.

Kato - do you mind if we use some of your words in the press release?

Kristin, Can I take you up on that offer? I'll email you separately.

@NikNik 

i am humbled by what you just said.

Umm yes you can use any of my words, i don't mind.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance